Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Removal of the BC LEH

Re: Removal of the BC LEH

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I have to wonder at times.
    Sometimes feel some just have the right hunter # (if that is what they use?) the the computer likes.
    And also, why should my friend, who won the pitt lake elk leh, after a couple of years once again have the same chance as I??
    Once you win that, you should be disqualified after that.
    Just saying.

I have applied for years, and not just me, but 2 others in the group for the same bull moose leh.
    No one has ever won that.
    And those odds arent that bad in there.
    So yes, it has left us wondering for sure.
    What if you blow your ACL the week before the hunt and can’t go? What if you don’t harvest your animal? What if your wife dies on the day your supposed to leave? What if your dog dies?
    Surely, there must be a reason that should allow you to re-enter…
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I’ve always wondered how you can have reduced odds in a random draw?
    anyone shed some light on that ?
    am I totally missing something

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I’ve always wondered how you can have reduced odds in a random draw?
    anyone shed some light on that ?
    am I totally missing something
    Read the description of how the LEH program works. It was linked a few pages by by me and someone else.
    They apply a random and unique number to each application and flag people that won certain draws in years past. The program then assigns first choice to the random numbers (starting at 1 and going on from there). When it encounters a flagged application (for past success) it skips every other or every two of three flagged entries.

It’s as random as it can be.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Thanks for the explanation! Makes sense !

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    What if you blow your ACL the week before the hunt and can’t go? What if you don’t harvest your animal? What if your wife dies on the day your supposed to leave? What if your dog dies?
    Surely, there must be a reason that should allow you to re-enter…
    I suppose if there was a way to allow for the tag to be redrawn, i suppose it could be possible.
    But thats for them to work out and consider if you win a big odd draw and cant submit once winning it.
    But, again, that isnt the case right now.

No worries. The odds will be better next year when you have to submit proof of dual vax in order to submit. Similar to the residency requirement.....

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    Read the description of how the LEH program works. It was linked a few pages by by me and someone else.
    They apply a random and unique number to each application and flag people that won certain draws in years past. The program then assigns first choice to the random numbers (starting at 1 and going on from there). When it encounters a flagged application (for past success) it skips every other or every two of three flagged entries.

It’s as random as it can be.
    Funny, 3 male hunters apply for 7-10 bull moose, for years we all get NIL, buddy number 2 gets his wife putting in for the same draw, she wins 4 out of 5 years in a row [saw the cards so no BS]....the odds of having that kind of luck must be astronomical or the enhanced odds story they feed us is baloney? And the biggest burn is during that time the same outfitter gets 25% of the bull moose tags being allocated, perhaps their clients should have to win an LEH tag before they hire a guide rather than gifting them 25% of the allocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I suppose if there was a way to allow for the tag to be redrawn, i suppose it could be possible.
    But thats for them to work out and consider if you win a big odd draw and cant submit once winning it.
    But, again, that isnt the case right now.
    It should be with any draw, that super smart computer program could distribute them in the order that was created in the first draw.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Funny, 3 male hunters apply for 7-10 bull moose, for years we all get NIL, buddy number 2 gets his wife putting in for the same draw, she wins 4 out of 5 years in a row [saw the cards so no BS]....the odds of having that kind of luck must be astronomical or the enhanced odds story they feed us is baloney? And the biggest burn is during that time the same outfitter gets 25% of the bull moose tags being allocated, perhaps their clients should have to win an LEH tag before they hire a guide rather than gifting them 25% of the allocation.
    Luck is a funny thing. Some people get hit by lightning more than once in a lifetime, some people have repeat big wins on the 6-49. Random chance is random chance.
    I had three moose draws in 7 years, two were back to back and in highly sought after areas. Haven’t had one in the last 10 years though.

The reduced odds thing could be done better. A moratorium on reapplying for the species for a period of time could make more sense for areas that have high application volumes, but you could run the risk of excluding all interested parties in other low volume application areas with such a system - i.e. it would need to be well run, dynamic, and informed with harvest data and application volumes year to year… so, not government run, because we all know the BC government is anything but dynamic when it comes to game management.

Does the current system have flaws - yes!
    Does every other jurisdiction in NA have its own flaws - yes!
    Last edited by Livewire322; 10-29-2021 at 05:52 PM.

It would be great if those shared and group moose hunters were restricted to 3 pt moose or better, leave the spike forks for those that aren't lucky enough to get a bull moose draw.