Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BCWF and 2021 wildfires

Re: BCWF and 2021 wildfires

How can anybody not agree that the closures are necessary
    How they go forward and what the recovery plan is , that is where the focus should be now
    individual voices have no strength, now is the time to get involved with a group or club
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

“We are British Columbia’s leading conservation organization, made up of province-wide volunteers who aim to protect, enhance and promote the wise use of our environment for the benefit of present and future generations. We advocate for anglers, hunters, outdoor recreationists, firearms owners and recreational shooters. The B.C. Wildlife Federation strives to ensure the sound long-term management of B.C.’s fish, wildlife, and outdoor recreational resources in the best interests of all British Columbians.”

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    How they go forward and what the recovery plan is , that is where the focus should be now
    individual voices have no strength, now is the time to get involved with a group or club
    I dont per say have an issue with the closures due to what has happened.
    But the door is wide open on interpretation as to how long, what will be done etc.
    And, there is no consideration on the effect these closures have to surrounding areas.
    And there is no consideration of reopening areas like R5 to maybe help.
    (and like R5, they never mentioned when that might open again, if ever).

I know totally understand now, when Fisherdude said that they always asked to keep 1 doe leh permit open in an area.
    Example, an area had say 50 MD doe leh, but suddenly the area has a sharp decline in MD in that area.
    Most would say, get rid of all the doe leh forthe time being.
    But like Fisherdude said, if they did that, it would be near impossible to got it back open again when the time was right.

This is the whole issue that i see going on all over the place now.
    No problem closing, restricting and banning anymore.
    Easy peasy for them.
    But try and go the other direction, and nothing!
    And then there are the 2 different standards based on your skin.
    Fine if they had to give up there non traditional equipment.
    But nope, somehow they are allowed that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    Will BCWF respond or just sit quietly on this?

Have you contacted anyone at BCWF rageous, or are you waiting for someone to notice your post?
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Your individual voice has strength boxhitch.

I am a current member of the BCWF. I am disappointed so far with them on this issue.

I have forwarded your concern to the President, Chuck Zuckerman. You can also email him yourself. I don't personally do any work on that side of things. I did hear that the closures would be announced the day before they were announced, but that was in a setting that's covered by confidentiality agreements.

What would you like to see BCWF say about the closures and why do you hold that position? (Honest question - I don't think you've shared your perspective so far).

Also, feel free to ping me at rob@robchipman.net in the future if you want, or your Regional president (tell me where you are and I'll go ev you his email) or Chuck directly.

This forum isn't an official BCWF one and while it's appreciated it is only occasionally monitored.
    Rob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    I have forwarded your concern to the President, Chuck Zuckerman. You can also email him yourself. I don't personally do any work on that side of things. I did hear that the closures would be announced the day before they were announced, but that was in a setting that's covered by confidentiality agreements.

What would you like to see BCWF say about the closures and why do you hold that position? (Honest question - I don't think you've shared your perspective so far).

Also, feel free to ping me at rob@robchipman.net in the future if you want, or your Regional president (tell me where you are and I'll go ev you his email) or Chuck directly.

This forum isn't an official BCWF one and while it's appreciated it is only occasionally monitored.
    Rob, I thank you for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Okay, i know the areas are still open to hunting (i get that)
    My question is:
    How long are these burnt areas going to stay closed to MVA for hunting?
    Has the Ministry given an outline (other than when sightline and vegetation grows up)?
    Are they considering what that timeframe is or do they even care to give an outline?

My concern is, we know that 75% of the province could go up in flames without much effort.
    Given the fact that Global Warming is occurring (yes, i am not a nay sayer on this).
    The chances of seeing several more summers in the not to distant future as the one we just had, is very likely.
    And if within these years, we see 500,000+ hectares burn each time, we now know the ministry's policy is to just close it off.
    So, it could get very "tight" for hunters.

Tunkwa, Spray and Pavilion are not just insignificant hunting areas.
    We aren't even at the height of MD season, and these areas are some favorite stomping grounds for many come November.
    And some of the prime stuff is beyond what many can "walk to".
    Which means the fringe areas are going to be very busy potentially.
    I have seen the Elephant Hill area become busy, right after R5 shut down, and then thro in the fire, and it was busy beyond
    belief last season with hunters. (and thats only an ATV'ORV ban).

So my point is, it may not seem like a big deal right now.
    But these closures could potentially be the starting of a whole new problem.
    If we have no more future fires, then fine, but what are the chances of that??

And, i am also curious to still know if the BCWF was consulted or talked to by the Ministry before this came out.
    And, what is the relationship like between the BCWF and Ministry these days???
    Does the Ministry even care to listen anymore??
    BCWF guy here. I don't know everything but I will share what I do know.

1. Some of the big fires from this summer are still not declared "out". Yes, they are under control and 99.9% out. But still technically a worksite.

2. Firefighting scars the landscape not just by fire but by all the machine control lines and hand lines that are dug. Contractors are hired to go in after to restore the land to prevent unnatural erosion for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post

Are you sure you aren't a "shortcut" Rob? LOL

Google "BCWF"
    Click on "Menu"
    Click on "Contact"
    Click on "Executive"

Copy and paste the president's email.

Or, randomly browse an internet forum, find a random post, and copy an email from there.

Choose your shortcut.
    Rob Chipman