Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BCWF and 2021 wildfires

BCWF and 2021 wildfires

Was the BCWF consulted on this recent 560000 hectare motor vehicle prohibition in region 3 and 8?

What is the BCWF official stance on this MV prohibition?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BCWF and 2021 wildfires

Some of these fires are big areas, popular areas to hunt as well.
    Especially when it comes to the hunting of Mule Deer and the upcoming November 11th and how many of us take that week off
    or at least extend a weekend.
    And, on top of that R5 is closed for 10 days.
    So, talk about a shit show in some areas coming soon as well as any other day of this season and for seasons to come!

So easy for them to shut it down isn't it, but no consideration in opening up say R5 so that at least there is some
    room for many to hunt.
    Not everyone can drive 10 hours.
    And many are from the LM who hunt much of what is now closed.
    So, you tell folks to drive way east or way north, but i guarantee you, areas that are not closed in R3/R8 are going to be
    crowded....big time.

What i cant understand is that we had a ATV/ORV ban with the Elephant Hill fire, but now we are having outright vehicles
    bans altogether!
    And, who knows how long these will last????
    I have never heard anything "officially" as to at least an approximation as to how long.
    Sometimes wonder if they will just think we will end up "accustomed" to the closures and 20 years from now just consider it
    the "norm"???

Because, if it comes to "sightlines" etc, and "easy exposure of wildlife" for the purpose of hunting, then heck, we could be waiting
    10 to 20 years for some areas to grow up to a reasonable level. (some places anyways)

Waiting to see what BCWF has on this subject as well.
    IF they were consulted, and what else they may or may not know.
    And is the Ministry at all concerned about the hunting community or even having talks with BCWF.
    Honestly, i have no clue how the Ministry/BCWF relationship is anymore these days, especially with a NDP government
    and F'n Heyman running this Ministry.

These areas are simply motor vehicle closures covering areas that were hit hard by fires. They are not closed to hunting. This is a good thing. Carry on.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

I think areas that have burned down substantially should be closed to heavy traffic.
    We are going to have major problems with land slides and whole mountain sides sliding if we allow heavy traffic in these areas.
    I'd be really careful going in there even on foot.
    These heavy rains sure don't help.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post

And, on top of that R5 is closed for 10 days.
    Where’d you see that?
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

10th to 21st been that way for a while now

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    Where’d you see that?
    Better check the Regs, been like that for years and certainly caused additional traffic in areas bordering R5 after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Better check the Regs, been like that for years and certainly caused additional traffic in areas bordering R5 after that.
    Huh, would you look at that!
    Mule deer closure for more MUs in region 5 from Nov 11-21 - interesting!
    Been a spell since I hunted up that way, but always good to learn something new. Thanks for the direction, Bugle.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Okay, i know the areas are still open to hunting (i get that)
    My question is:
    How long are these burnt areas going to stay closed to MVA for hunting?
    Has the Ministry given an outline (other than when sightline and vegetation grows up)?
    Are they considering what that timeframe is or do they even care to give an outline?

My concern is, we know that 75% of the province could go up in flames without much effort.
    Given the fact that Global Warming is occurring (yes, i am not a nay sayer on this).
    The chances of seeing several more summers in the not to distant future as the one we just had, is very likely.
    And if within these years, we see 500,000+ hectares burn each time, we now know the ministry's policy is to just close it off.
    So, it could get very "tight" for hunters.

Tunkwa, Spray and Pavilion are not just insignificant hunting areas.
    We aren't even at the height of MD season, and these areas are some favorite stomping grounds for many come November.
    And some of the prime stuff is beyond what many can "walk to".
    Which means the fringe areas are going to be very busy potentially.
    I have seen the Elephant Hill area become busy, right after R5 shut down, and then thro in the fire, and it was busy beyond
    belief last season with hunters. (and thats only an ATV'ORV ban).

So my point is, it may not seem like a big deal right now.
    But these closures could potentially be the starting of a whole new problem.
    If we have no more future fires, then fine, but what are the chances of that??

And, i am also curious to still know if the BCWF was consulted or talked to by the Ministry before this came out.
    And, what is the relationship like between the BCWF and Ministry these days???
    Does the Ministry even care to listen anymore??

Will BCWF respond or just sit quietly on this?