Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Road hunters killed my buck.

Re: Road hunters killed my buck.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBowDerek View Post
    Thanks. Theres an old creek bed thats very marshy that leads from the lake into mature timber funnels. Ive found lots of tracks passing through there, but haven't seen any deer there. I'll try hunting it a little deeper and see what happens. It's loud to still hunt in, so I guess it's best to get there early and just hunker down for the day.
    Glass blocks first light. After that cover new ground and scout for fresh sign. Still hunt the timber but not an area you plan to sit and watch for last light. Get back to and sneak (stay concealed) into your chosen spot (based on scouting/recent sign) to sit/watch for last few hours of light. Watch and glass edges. The doe’s will come in hour before dark….bigger bucks typically last 15-30mins of light or in the dark if pressured. Exception being the rut when the brain goes to mush. If nothing shows…on to new location for the next time out.
    Last edited by northof49; 10-24-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    How about change the title to "Hunters Kill My Buck". It might sound a little less sanctimonious.
    Still sounds sanctimonious - try changing the title to “other hunters killed a buck I was targeting”
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

You will soon find that hunters are continually inflating and exaggerating their impact and footprint on wilderness and wildlife
    200 yds, likely not responding at all to your call
    Vehicles and gunshots do nothing significant to alter movements
    deer and bears do not 'know' what a gunshot sound may come from (warning shots are pointless)
    For every one deer/buck/doe you know about chances are there are 10 times as many in the area
    gut piles are also insignificant , just another day, critters are always dying
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    How about change the title to "Hunters Kill My Buck". It might sound a little less sanctimonious.
    Or, some hunters shot a deer in the same area that I was hunting, lucky *******s. LOL. Deer hunting is all about the timing, good timing for you, bad timing for the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Or, some hunters shot a deer in the same area that I was hunting, lucky *******s. LOL. Deer hunting is all about the timing, good timing for you, bad timing for the deer.
    Yup, this is actually what happened.

Sorry, wasn't trying to offend anybody that shoots deer from their vehicle. Guess it's just a frustrating reality of hunting crown land.

shot my mule buck on thurseday,,,,,,and he was aprox 150 yards from a few dry does,,,,,,,and man,,,he was already stinking pretty bad,,,,,,,the bucks are definately starting to take interest in the does
    Aim small,,miss small

Solid advice. Thank you. It's a tough hunt, still hunting, but very fun. Just been bumping does for the most part haha.

If you find their main trails in and out of bedding/feeding areas then put up a treestand (killing machine) and sit from hour before light to 30" after shooting light. Clear the area around the stand of noisy sticks leaves etc and sneak in and out as quietly as possible. Good luck, sounds like you have a nice spot.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

No the guts nor the shot will scare any other deer out . They are literally used to both. Hunt the area again .

By the way ....... Big grin ...... Thanks for the buck
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA