Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Road hunters killed my buck.

Road hunters killed my buck.

Yesterday I was hunting up in an area by a small lake I'd been scouting and hunting since early September. Tons of does in the area and I found sign of a single buck, so Yesterday I decided to focus on calling him in with a few bleats and a grunt every now and then. I was hunkered down in a blind I made out of small branches and bows I found near the area. Right around dusk (after sitting in my blind for 9 hours) I heard a shot from a vehicle 200 yards down the road... Turns out road hunters just drove up and shot the buck I was trying to call.

My question is: Will the gut pile and shot scare off all the other does and future bucks in the area? It's my first season hunting deer... not sure if I should find another spot or commit to where I know there's tons of does.

Thanks.
    Last edited by LongBowDerek; 10-24-2021 at 10:34 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Road hunters killed my buck.

Stick with the does. Honestly I don’t know if calling will work this early in the season. I’ve never had any luck.
    There’s probably more than one buck in the area. The deer are just starting to rut but if your seeing does with small fawns dont expect to see bucks with them your looking for full grown does that small bucks are trying to breed already.
    I shot one Saturday (might write up a story later) and he was with a doe and another buck and both were showing signs of being in rut mode.

Thanks. The does I've seen are all mature. I've still got till the end of October to harvest a doe if I don't find another buck there. I think I'll try and find a highway/funnel deeper into the thick stuff and away from the road, perhaps let the road hunters drive thenm towards me.

If you are able and comfortable to do so, try getting further away from roads if calling to avoid that happening. Try around edges of 5-8 yr old cutblocks where recent tracks/sign. Preferably areas with broken terrain and draws that funnel game up into cutblock in eve. Broken terrain and benches midway up and bigger fir vets up above along ridges. Those ridge lines with bigger fir and cut blocks and benches below can be good places to call. Try to get away from the roads and easy access places. Get a good vantage and sit and watch those funnel draws last hour of light as the deer come out of the timber. Dress warm. Good luck.

How about change the title to "Hunters Kill My Buck". It might sound a little less sanctimonious.

The gut pile and gunshot won't scare off other deer in the area. The gut pile is likely gone already.

Thanks. Theres an old creek bed thats very marshy that leads from the lake into mature timber funnels. Ive found lots of tracks passing through there, but haven't seen any deer there. I'll try hunting it a little deeper and see what happens. It's loud to still hunt in, so I guess it's best to get there early and just hunker down for the day.

Thanks, good to know. Wasn't sure how sensitive deer are to gut piles. Figured the smell would keep em away.

Well I'm pretty sure it's not your buck until you cut a tag for it. Other guy's just happen to be in the right place at the right time. It happens

Quote Originally Posted by knighthunter View Post
    The gut pile and gunshot won't scare off other deer in the area. The gut pile is likely gone already.
    Very true. Quite a few years ago I had a WT doe tag. I spotted a doe and drove up the trail about 200 yards, parked my truck and very slowly walked back down. Spotted the doe and watched to see if there was a buck around. couldn't see a buck so I shot the. Walked back to my truck and drove back down to gut and load her, maybe 5 minutes max. When I got to within 30 yards of her, I spotted a nice buck obviously searching for his girlfriend, totally unconcerned with my approach. I watched him for about 5 minutes and then drove down the last few yards and watched him finally move away slowly. Could have had them both if I had another tag.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....