Thread: Ducks are decoy shy already

Ducks are decoy shy already

Can't figured out why the ducks are decoy shy already. This is my 49 year hunting ducks and geese. I sort know what I am doing. Yes I have couple new HBC members hunting with me and they all dress in full camo from head to toe. I even went out 35 feet to see how they look like inside my duck blind. It looks perfect. Good concealment. I even put extra brushes and grass on the side of blind. Still they either circle once or twice and never committed into flying closer. Usually the widgeon are dumbest ducks around and are first to land among my decoys but not this year. Pintail and Greenhead are one wariest ducks around that's my opinion. It's so bad I committed myself into shooting widgeon which is bottom of list in shooting ducks. Normally I just shoot greenheads and drake pintails. This morning I didn't bother setting up robo ducks made no difference. Still spooky.
    There are not a lot other hunters shooting today. I was joking around telling the guys Its our fault that we missed the ducks previous season and they went on to breed and produced smart gene ducklings to avoid this area. Then again shooting and getting Canada geese this season has been awesome. Go figured.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ducks are decoy shy already

Somebody is moving in your blind

Just because you are wearing camo doesn’t necessarily mean that wildlife can’t see it. A lot of clothing manufacturers add UV brighteners in their manufacturing process to “enhance” the colours. In such a case, the camo now sticks out like a flashing neon light. To test for this, get a black light or UV light and shine it on the camo clothing in a dark room. It will be immediately apparent if that is the problem. I had inadvertently bought such a set of camo clothing several years ago, and that stuff scared every duck and goose out of the country until I figured out what the problem was. Good luck with it.

Pacemaker is right, some Camo shines like a light house, UV killing laundry soap works and so do face coverings, they are very important in water fowling from a blind. If you have 2 or more people in a blind only one person should be watching the birds, the person calling the shot and they have to be relating where the birds are. No sneak peeking. With weary birds you can't move a muscle.

This morning I did solo morning hunt. I had closes to 50-60 widgeons, teals, pintails and 2 hen mallards landed among the decoys. You guys are right. They must be looking at them or moving around. Because of last year beginning of Covid-19 and nobody got they vaccines shots yet I put up wall barriers inside the duck blind for each individual hunters. I could not see what these guys were doing. My rule rules of thumbs when hunting with me is safely is no#1, No drugs or boozes No#2 and No#3 Is don't move or look at them and only look up when I said shoot. I don't ground shoot ducks in water unless its is wound. Its really interesting watching the ducks swimming in between the decoys and not one bit shy away from them for over 20 odd minutes.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
    Can't figured out why the ducks are decoy shy already. This is my 49 year hunting ducks and geese. I sort know what I am doing. Yes I have couple new HBC members hunting with me and they all dress in full camo from head to toe. I even went out 35 feet to see how they look like inside my duck blind. It looks perfect. Good concealment. I even put extra brushes and grass on the side of blind. Still they either circle once or twice and never committed into flying closer. Usually the widgeon are dumbest ducks around and are first to land among my decoys but not this year. Pintail and Greenhead are one wariest ducks around that's my opinion. It's so bad I committed myself into shooting widgeon which is bottom of list in shooting ducks. Normally I just shoot greenheads and drake pintails. This morning I didn't bother setting up robo ducks made no difference. Still spooky.
    There are not a lot other hunters shooting today. I was joking around telling the guys Its our fault that we missed the ducks previous season and they went on to breed and produced smart gene ducklings to avoid this area. Then again shooting and getting Canada geese this season has been awesome. Go figured.
    People have been shooting at them for over a month now. Maybe that's it.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU