Thread: Give me a few quick tips on processing my first bear please.

Give me a few quick tips on processing my first bear please.

Hey,
    Got my first bear earlier in the week so I'm about to process it. I have a couple questions;
    Should I leave the bone in or out for the rear hams? Do you use the bones to make stock?
    What do you do with the back straps? I want a bunch of ground meat and a bunch of cubed meat for stews and sausages but it seems a little silly to grind up the back straps.
    I got a fair amount of fat to render as well.
    Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Give me a few quick tips on processing my first bear please.

Here’s a tip never chase women or buses you will just get left behind “ Harley Davidson and the molbro man”

I usually take everything off the bone except the shanks and ribs. See my comments on deer bone soup on this page.

Neck and what meat off the shoulders you don't make into stew is good for burger.

I have often left he lower back piece intact for what I call a "saddle roast."

You could take the backstraps off and save them for boneless roasts or make chops, though (and this is just me) I never make chops or steaks out of bear.

I save all the backbone from the neck to the pelvis for soup. Cut with the bone saw to fit in pressure cooker.

I saw the ribs up intact and save them for roasting in the clay pot with lots of onions, garlic and tomato sauce.
    Last edited by MichelD; 10-23-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Damned if that all doesn't sound tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I usually take everything off the bone except the shanks and ribs. See my comments on bones in the recipe section.

Neck and what meat off the shoulders you don't make into stew is good for burger.

I have often left he lower back piece intact for what I call a "saddle roast."

You could take he backstraps off and save them for boneless roasts or make chops, though (and this is just me) I never make chops or steaks out of bear.

I saw the ribs up intact and save them for roasting in the clay pot with lots of onions, garlic and tomato sauce.

Same pretty much as MichelD.
    Bear meat is too tough for the most part for steaks, etc. Tenderloins I have marinated and grilled but even backstrap has alot of connective tissue.
    Keep ball roasts, and square roast for hams. Bone out for me as brine didn't get all the way to the bone for me.
    Ribs are good also, leave some fat on.
    Rest is either cubed for stew, or ground with 10%pork fat.
    Keep liver and heart.
    Neck for stew after taking most meat off.
    Bones for stock.
    Baculum as a stir stick for a gift to hunting buddy.

Shanks keep meat on and cook in Instapot/slow cooker and make pulled bear.

Thanks for the tips!

I just did a bear ham in the sous vide - cooked it for 5-6 hours at 140 and it turned out amazing, a bit chewy so maybe a little longer or a little warmer would help break down the connective tissue. Sliced it thin and piled it high to make philly cheese steak sandwiches and it was delicious.

Enjoy!

My tip is start with a spring bear. Way less fat to deal with and skins like a dream. Carefull with all of the grease that you don't cut yourself. Your bear will be delicious.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

I cut off the connective tissue off the heart, sliced it up and pan fried it with the rocky mountain bear oysters. I'm not a good cook but it was so good! My 7 year old keeps asking for more bear heart so he can get bigger muscles.

Whatever you do, cook it to 165 to kill the trich that’s in it