Thread: Who has smoked a moose brisket?

Who has smoked a moose brisket?

I’m looking for some tips on smoking a moose brisket. Im worried about drying it out and watching it shrivel up like some of the other game I’ve tried to smoke.

I think I’m going to marinade it for a week or so in some Montreal smoked meat brine and smoke it for 3 hours at 200ish and then wrap it for the rest. I’ll inject it with something too, I just haven’t decided.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Who has smoked a moose brisket?

try this

4 tablespoons paprika
    3 tablespoons kosher salt
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    1 tablespoon dried parsley
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon hot chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano

coat the brisket with yellow french's mustard and then cover with the rub.

preheat smoker to 200 deg F

Place the seasoned brisket in your smoker, close the lid, and smoke until the internal temperature of your meat reads 165 degrees F. This step can typically take as long as 6 hours,
    depending on the size and thickness of your meat. Spritz with the 1 cup of beef stock every
    hour during this initial smoke period.

Once the brisket reaches 165 degrees F, wrap tightly in butcher paper and return to
    the smoker. Smoke until the internal temperature reaches 195 degrees and then remove to a
    cutting board. This typically takes another 2 hours.
    Last edited by Blacktail; 10-23-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

No marinade necessary, in fact if you do marinate in a liquid it will make it very difficult if not impossible to get a nice bark on the outside. Put in fridge uncovered overnight to allow it to dry out and then salt and pepper(heavy on the salt) or dry rub of choice before putting in the smoker.
    smoke for 8-12 hrs.(should go by temp not necessarily time) then coat in bear lard( you can also inject the lard)and wrap in butcher paper, return to smoker for another 2hrs or so then remove and put in cooler to rest for min. 4hrs and as much as 8. Don’t peek! leave wrapped while in cooler.
    remove, cut, serve. It will blow your mind.
    Have a look at ‘mad scientist BBQ’ on you tube. You won’t be disappointed.
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Have you guys done this with game? I’ve done a few beef briskets that I’ve been happy with, I’m just worried about drying it out, because moose is so lean. Injecting with lard should help quite a bit.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I have done what I suggested with beef as well as moose and elk.
    you just need to be more diligent with wild game as it dries out faster.

If anything put a little apple juice or beer in with it when you wrap it up in the butcher paper to prevent it from drying out
    Or for that matter just make burnt ends with it.

. Unwrap from the butcher paper, draining any liquid from the paper into an aluminum pan. Cut the brisket point into cubes, about 1 1/2 inches thick.
    Place the cubes into the aluminum pan and toss with the BBQ sauce and brown sugar. Work
    quickly during this step to prevent your brisket from cooling down too much.
    Set the uncovered pan of burnt ends back on the smoker and close the lid. Continue smoking at 200 degrees F for 1-2 more hours, or until the burnt ends have started to absorb the BBQ sauce and caramelize on all sides and are very tender.
    Last edited by Blacktail; 10-23-2021 at 12:56 PM.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington