Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Stave LEH

Successful Stave LEH

Thanks to everyone for the tips about the LEH up Stave Lake. We scouted for months prior and had a great idea of where the animals were and where to go. We had so many different bulls on camera that we figured we would have very good chances.

After a week of what felt like a nightmare hunting trip we came out successful. Big thanks to @KEMASI and @HunterMike for being great camp pals and their help hauling my bull out.

I don't think I've ever hunted in so much rain before but we did our best to push through. Night before opening day a massive storm came through and really shook things up. We realized our two wall tents were flooding... Dug a trench for 3 hours, everyone got soaked. Fast forward later in the middle of the night and the wind picks up... Our wall tent picked up off the ground and took off through the gravel pit hitting us on its way by. Good thing we were all camped together as it was a fun time trying to get camp back to where it should be.

The storm shut the bush down for alot of the week and we never saw any animals. When we felt like it was time to quit we powered through and Day 4 connected with my first Roosevelt Bull! Snuck in and heard the cows moving up through the opening and waited for this guy to show himself. Made my shot and he tipped over where he stood. I've elk hunted before but this was no comparison.

I hope the others with tags get to fill theirs. It was a crazy hunt but met some great people and had a wild experience.

Last edited by gonefishin21; 10-20-2021 at 09:07 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Successful Stave LEH

Beauty bull congrats, good on ya for pushing through, looks wet out there for sure....

Wow what a stud! Well done. Sounds like you had a great time. I can relate to the wall tent flooding/taking flight. Been there haha. Good on yah!

Also like the mini jet boat!!
    WSSBC
    CCFR

One day I hope to draw a tag and have an adventure like yours. Well done and way to stick with it. That's a trophy,
    memories and freezer full of meat well earned! Congrats!

Beauty bull, congrats on a job well done.
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

Great your hard work paid off. Beauty. Congrats
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Congrats on filling your tag and freezer .Nice bull and a great adventure it sounds like.

That’s a beautiful animal ! Sounds like you pushed through the negative weather and made the best of it , determined and look at the outcome ,Awesome !
    Tell us a bit about the jet boat
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Beauty bull for sure, congrats!!! The weather up there sure can be something else. Dead calm ride up and huge rollers/whitecaps coming out only within hours. The rain sure does make it a tough slog, but you persevered and got her done; awesome job.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Congrats.. that is a great elk. Thanks for sharing.

How far off the river/lake were they?