Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterfowl Hunting Etiquette

Re: Waterfowl Hunting Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Well, then I guess you best stay on the island. There are many spots where I hunt in Delta/Ladner where people hunt within 100 or so yards of one another. We smile, wave and say “you good if I set up here?” I’ve yet to see a hostile moment, but I seldom hunt weekends, so maybe it’s just those of us lucky enough to hunt midweek that are relaxed about it?
    It also depends on the area your hunting. The lower mainland is extremely crowded in all public areas.

The OP was about hunting in the Okanagan where there are far fewer people chasing migratory birds. Around here a 400 yard buffer would be bare minimum so as not to interfere with someone else’s set up. Even then you could easily screw up the other persons hunt which would not be ethical. In parts of Alberta you’d better be a mile away or you’d be getting neutered……
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    It also depends on the area your hunting. The lower mainland is extremely crowded in all public areas.

The OP was about hunting in the Okanagan where there are far fewer people chasing migratory birds. Around here a 400 yard buffer would be bare minimum so as not to interfere with someone else’s set up. Even then you could easily screw up the other persons hunt which would not be ethical. In parts of Alberta you’d better be a mile away or you’d be getting neutered……
    I’m very aware of where the OP was talking about. I grew up in the Okanagan and have fished and hunted there and the west Koots all my life. I’ve also hunted Alberta as recently as Sept of this year. My nutz are intact! I am also very aware of what is ethical or not, and more than that, I know what respectful is.

MY point was that you CAN get along with your fellow hunters, and if circumstances work out, you CAN hunt closer than a mile or even 400 yds. In a perfect world, we wouldn’t need to though.

Back on topic, cudos to Kuiper for asking the question in the first place.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Lots of times if two guys are at same spot they throw in toghether

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Lots of times if two guys are at same spot they throw in toghether
    Exactly. No neutering or fowl language required. This could even work outside the busy LML!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Yea 400y sounds like a dream. The only time I've ever had 400y everyone else decided to stay home! (Midweek hunting for the win).

How import is the first light shoot? I Imagine if the weather is nasty the birds will be moving around more. Is the evening just as good as the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuiper View Post
    How import is the first light shoot? I Imagine if the weather is nasty the birds will be moving around more. Is the evening just as good as the morning?
    First light, ducks get up and start stirring and try to beat each other to the early feeding spots. But that's not the only time they move. They might move three, four times a day going from spot to spot. Mid-day most birds have found a spot to spend the day in. But anything can stir them from wind, temperature drop, rain, predators, hunters shooting at them.

There are solid reasons to be up before first light which are to claim a spot from other human hunters and to have your decoys and blind set up in the dark so as to not disturb birds who are still roosting.

But I got a limit last week arriving at 9:30 passing hunters on their way out. It was definitely slow for a bit because the birds had been shot at and also because I stirred some setting up. All the birds in the swamp saw me walk in and the other hunters walk out. But after the first group of birds flew off, eventually I was set up and was ready when other birds from other areas came in.

Night flights can be good. You're catching birds who flew away from their roosting areas on the way back. You have the light of the day to set up your spread without the hassle of stumbling around in the dark. But you have less time to hunt and if your spread is no good, that was your chance. Plus finding crippled birds in the dark is no fun.

Both dawn and dusk birds - just like humans - have diminished vision. I would choose either to being there in mid-day which is a nice time for you to have a nap.

100 yards are you looking to get peppered?

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Exactly. No neutering or fowl language required. This could even work outside the busy LML!

I've hunted in a lot more crowded areas then the LML. I grew up in SW Ontario. Its called being respectful. Being that close you literally could be shooting at the same bird. That's crazy talk. A guy gets up early, sets his decoys out does all the work and some plug waltzes in, sits down a 100 yards and starts shooting at birds swinging into that guys spread and has done zero to bring the ducks in? if you think that's ok, please stay wherever you are hunting.

There is nothing wrong with hunting together. However, if the guy that was there fist doesn't want to hunt with the person that comes late he should be hunting a lot further then 100 yards.

Lorne
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 12-05-2021 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.