Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl Hunting Etiquette

Waterfowl Hunting Etiquette

Hi Everyone,

I am an adult onset hunter who has focused on big and small game. Hunting waterfowl has always interested me and I am ready to take the plunge. I have done a bunch of research but have a few general questions and no mentors to learn from. I know I can read all day but would prefer some practical experience. I live in and primarily hunt around the Okanagan and have identified a couple of low elevation public access wetlands that I want to scope out to prepare for my first waterfowl hunt. The one main issue I have identified is that the low elevation hunting areas are few and far between, quite small in size and as such I expect them to be quite busy. I know the chances of me showing up and potentially pissing some people off with my ignorance is likely but I would like to try and avoid it where possible. When setting up how much room do you typically give other hunters? In the bush when I see a truck parked I move on to another area but in a small wetland that isn't possible.

Another question I have is how essential is the use of decoys?

Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for taking me under your wing (pun intended).

Kuiper

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Waterfowl Hunting Etiquette

Don't set up on the periphery of someone else's set so that your shooting birds coming into their set. Learn to use a call and when to call. A large set of decoys can be very effective but is not necessary. If you know how to call and are well hidden you can easily get birds within range. Good luck and thanks for being one of those hunters with some consideration for others and practicing etiquette

Vince? Calvin?

I’d say one good option is talk to some of the other guys hunting those smaller ponds (if you do find there are others there), and maybe someone will be willing to help you out or share a blind with you. I see a ton of different guys hunting Boundary Bay and almost everyone is friendly, and would be willing to work with you.

Goid luck out there!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

It’s nice that your asking. There are more and more boneheads out there that have no regard for anyone else.

The main criteria is to never set up where you’ll interfere with another mans hunt. If in doubt, ask the person already there.

I live in and hunt waterfowl in the Okanagan as well. Getting to your spot and setting up early before anyone else will help insure minimal conflict. Make your presence known as soon as anyone else shows up and if possible communicate with them around mutually acceptable buffers between the two groups.

In this day and age your likely to run into a dickhead who thinks it’s their god given right be wherever they want no matter how negatively it impacts another. It’s up to you how you want to deal with that.

Again, never interfere with another mans hunt. Good luck.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I find it best to hunt private property, find the birds then go ask, all they can say is no and just keep on knocking on doors, sure does limit the amount of hunters.

I would add a few things:
    - 100y from other hunters is nice. It may not be possible but like the others said. It's not just the distance between hunters it is respecting who is doing the work. If it isn't possible for you to not hunt off their decoys at least allow them the first shot. If they miss you can do clean up
    - if there is a question who shot it, defer to the person who shot first. Be a gentleman
    - as you are new, you may not know your distances. 40y is considered a long shot. Don't do it. Decoying is the sweet science of duck hunting. It ensures that ducks get well within that distance and gives even mediocre shots a good opportunity to bring down a bird. Even if you are a good long shooter, a long shot will raise the chances of a duck getting crippled. Even dead ones can sail from momentum for a 100 or more yards making it very hard for the shooter to recover them. Bad long shots is called skybusting.
    - don't walk through someone's decoys.
    - if you are late pay attention to the lights. When I am early I will always flash my headlamp at the other hunter so they know to keep their distance
    - help a brother out. If you see where a bird went down and the hunter doesn't know where it is, stand up and point it out. If you see a cripple and the other hunter is too far to grab it, go get it for him
    - don't shoot in their direction. I've been sprayed many times. Even if it is showering from above it could still be unsafe. So make sure your arc is pointing away
    - don't shoot across a pond unless you are certain someone isn't on the other side
    - If you can't call, at least stay hidden. Don't stand in the open like a gomer
    - Bad calling is worse than no calling. Practice in your car or on bluebird days. If you observe real birds you'll notice they're nowhere as frequent callers as humans
    - don't bring an untrained dog
    - when you're pulling in your decoys or putting out decoys, do it with a minimum of fuss. Every moment you are standing out there you are spoiling it for everyone else.
    - burlap, camo sheets are very useful for just throwing over your junk, your boat, yourself.
    - don't throw your dead carcasses where the hikers and dogwalkers can see them. Nothing gets areas shut down more than yucking out the non-hunters. They don't know if you properly breasted out a bird; they just see a dead bird

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    I would add a few things:
    - 100y from other hunters is nice. It may not be possible but like the others said. It's not just the distance between hunters it is respecting who is doing the work. If it isn't possible for you to not hunt off their decoys at least allow them the first shot. If they miss you can do clean up
    - if there is a question who shot it, defer to the person who shot first. Be a gentleman
    - as you are new, you may not know your distances. 40y is considered a long shot. Don't do it. Decoying is the sweet science of duck hunting. It ensures that ducks get well within that distance and gives even mediocre shots a good opportunity to bring down a bird. Even if you are a good long shooter, a long shot will raise the chances of a duck getting crippled. Even dead ones can sail from momentum for a 100 or more yards making it very hard for the shooter to recover them. Bad long shots is called skybusting.
    - don't walk through someone's decoys.
    - if you are late pay attention to the lights. When I am early I will always flash my headlamp at the other hunter so they know to keep their distance
    - help a brother out. If you see where a bird went down and the hunter doesn't know where it is, stand up and point it out. If you see a cripple and the other hunter is too far to grab it, go get it for him
    - don't shoot in their direction. I've been sprayed many times. Even if it is showering from above it could still be unsafe. So make sure your arc is pointing away
    - don't shoot across a pond unless you are certain someone isn't on the other side
    - If you can't call, at least stay hidden. Don't stand in the open like a gomer
    - Bad calling is worse than no calling. Practice in your car or on bluebird days. If you observe real birds you'll notice they're nowhere as frequent callers as humans
    - don't bring an untrained dog
    - when you're pulling in your decoys or putting out decoys, do it with a minimum of fuss. Every moment you are standing out there you are spoiling it for everyone else.
    - burlap, camo sheets are very useful for just throwing over your junk, your boat, yourself.
    - don't throw your dead carcasses where the hikers and dogwalkers can see them. Nothing gets areas shut down more than yucking out the non-hunters. They don't know if you properly breasted out a bird; they just see a dead bird

IF someone set up to me within a 100 yards or where we aren't sure who shot the bird we would be having some not so friendly words. 400 yards is a much better buffer and if that isnt possible the spot isn't big enough for 2 hunters.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Thanks for all of the great information. How long do you typically like to be settled in before the sun starts to rise?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuiper View Post
    Thanks for all of the great information. How long do you typically like to be settled in before the sun starts to rise?
    Depending on where I'm setting up for ducks, I like to be at my spot at least 90 minutes before sun up. Usually takes me 20-40 minutes to set up. Leaving me time to enjoy a coffee waiting for the day to start.

Nothing worse then seeing some guy paddling across the marsh in front of you looking for a spot when legal light hits and the birds are flying. Like said above, need to be respectful of others who are already set up.

I also have some real good mid day shoots, especially when I can get out mid week. Last year the majority of my hunts were mid week afternoons and it was one of the best seasons I've had.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-21-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    IF someone set up to me within a 100 yards or where we aren't sure who shot the bird we would be having some not so friendly words. 400 yards is a much better buffer and if that isnt possible the spot isn't big enough for 2 hunters.

Lorne
    Well, then I guess you best stay on the island. There are many spots where I hunt in Delta/Ladner where people hunt within 100 or so yards of one another. We smile, wave and say “you good if I set up here?” I’ve yet to see a hostile moment, but I seldom hunt weekends, so maybe it’s just those of us lucky enough to hunt midweek that are relaxed about it?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.