Thread: First deer bone soup of the season

First deer bone soup of the season

Mrs. boiled up the first of the packages of deer bones from this year's deer yesterday and we had deer faux pho for lunch yesterday and today. Utiliizing the bones sure increases the number of meals we get out of a deer along with careful trimming and use of every little fragment of red meat in the home butchering process to add to the meat grinder pile. The "waste" pile is miniscule.
    Last edited by MichelD; 10-19-2021 at 05:38 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First deer bone soup of the season

Nice one! I love making deer stock and have actually done Pho with it as well. Have used the shanks slow cooked in stock for pho works great. Have a few bear shanks in the freezer waiting for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by DMD View Post
    Nice one! I love making deer stock and have actually done Pho with it as well. Have used the shanks slow cooked in stock for pho works great. Have a few bear shanks in the freezer waiting for this application.
    Yes. I agree. I take the meat off all the bones except the shanks, and freeze them after sawing in half for use either as soup as you say or if from a larger deer, baked slowly in the oven in a clay pot.

I feel sorry for people who take only the meat or use the "gutless" method of field dressing and leave the bones in the bush.

I don't know how to make the calculation in detail but I am convinced that I get substantially greater meat and meal recovery out of a deer than those that take their game to a butcher or discard the bones.
    Last edited by MichelD; 10-23-2021 at 12:41 PM.

I love Pho!!! If i was on death row, that would be my last meal. I have yet to make it myself but I will one day very soon!!