Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passed on Largest Bull Moose I've ever seen

Passed on Largest Bull Moose I've ever seen

I'll share a bit about my life before telling you my moose story so just jump to the tag that says MOOSE if you want my latest hunting adventure.
    HISTORY
    I had the privilege of growing up in a home where my dad loved hunting and fishing. At age 6 I was shooting grouse with a single shot 'rabbit gun'. At age 10 my dad bought me a 20 gauge to hunt ducks and at age 12 he got me a 12 gauge. I shot my first bear at age 12. I had the fortune to live in all 4 western provinces and take game out of each of them. I've been blessed with great success hunting big game and have only missed a few seasons in the later years of my life. I have had excellent partners over the years but for 1/2 of my hunts I was mainly a solo hunter, venturing into the back country and mountains. Carrying out heavy quarters over rugged terrain does take a tole on a person's body and has resulted in back surgery. My wife overheard me talking to friends about a couple incidents I had on a hunt in my early 60's and has insisted that from now on I hunt with someone else. One time I got between a griz and her 2 cubs. She was 25 yards from me. The next year I jumped a griz sitting on a kill and had to back off, and that same year I had hiked two hours back in the mountains hunting elk when a griz came charging out of the bush running up a cut line right at me. We parted as friends but I agreed with my wife that I will not hunt alone. The good Lord has watched over me in-spite of my many mis-adventures.

INTRODUCTION
    My 2021 hunt was different than any other hunt I've been on. There were 6 of us. Me in my 70's, my friend in his late 50's and 4 young men in their 30's. Some newbies among them who have never hunted moose. It was an up year for grouse and it was nice to see covey after covey of them all over the trails. We shot a few when we were in the SXS's and had a 22 with us. We went to an area that non of us had ever been before and we went for the first week of Oct. to take advantage of the rut. Being with younger hunters, they were eager to do the things that I used to do but now only tolerate. 5 of them left the Island and arrived at my home at 8:00pm in Surrey. Although I had offered them all a place to sleep so we could get an early start in the morning the vote was to leave now. We took turns and drove non stop until we reached our destination around 3 in the afternoon. I can only give you a general location as that's what hunters do - draw a 100 km circle around Hudson Hope and we were somewhere in that area. lol Note - we did the same thing going home, driving all night so the others could catch the first ferry back to the Island.

SUCCESS
    The bulls were very active and the first bull on the second day was a 49" rack with 4 points on each palm. Second moose was called in by a first time hunter - did an excellent cow call, followed by some bull grunts and a try-palm grunted his way right into a clearing about 60 yards from him. These were the only two moose we got but there were many other close calls.

MOOSE
    My young partner who had never hunted moose was with me on my SXS. We went through a good 10K of terrible roads and arrived at a big clear cut. We drove through the cut and then started going up switch backs to get to the top as we wanted to see what was on the other side. We stopped near the top to look down and saw a moose standing about 500 yds below us in some trees that we had just driven by. My partner had his binoculars on it first and said that it was a monster - much larger than the 49" that was shot already. I got out of the SXS and looked with my glasses and said that it looked OK but that it wasn't that big. When I first looked it had tilted it's head back and I was only seeing it's brow tines. Then it lowered its head and I saw the most massive set of antlers I've ever seen. I said - It's a Yukon moose. I've seen well over a 100 bull moose over the years and have only seen 2 that I call Yukon moose. To me, a Yukon moose is one whose rack goes out very wide (with open spaces they tend to grow out and wide compared with heavy bush moose in BC that grow up and tall). We watched the moose for a few minutes and then made a plan. We drove the SXS back about 700 yards to the switch back going down and then stopped, hoping to close the 700 yard distance back to the moose on foot. No sooner than we had made a couple of steps, we caught sight of some movement in the brush below us at around 250 yards. My first thought was that it was a different moose. Both of us threw up our binoculars and within a few seconds it broke into a clearing about 150 yards in front of us - broadside - offering a shot on the largest moose I had ever seen in all my years of hunting. It stopped and looked at us. Down went my binoculars and without thinking, on auto pilot, my gun that were slung on my back was now on my shoulder. The moose broke into a run and trying to track him in the brush and get a shot off wasn't working. Then, at about 175 yards he came into a clearing again. It took him about 3 steps to clear it and get into the tall timber. I was lined up on him running straight away from me. I knew that I could probably shoot him in the hind quarter. It's amazing how much a brain can process in a couple seconds. Should I try to shoot him in the head, at a dead run, at 175 yards, free hand. Should I shoot him in the hind end to slow him down and hopefully get another killing shot into him. Should I let him go because everything in me and everything I have valued about being an ethical hunter over the years would end here if he was wounded and got away to die a painful death.
    I guess the title says what I did - I passed. But for the last couple weeks, I have not been able to shake the picture of him standing broad side to me for that short moment in time. And to celebrate all that I have been blessed with and the beauty of living in BC.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Passed on Largest Bull Moose I've ever seen

great story of why we hunt...it isn't to just kill animals

Good on you!
    To me, having action is more important than the result....the hunt!
    Sitting around looking at nothing all day for a week sucks.
    Having to pass on a shot, but having the experience is still a win in my books.

Honestly, i watched a program a short time back.
    The person had their share of taking several nice bulls during the episode, and at times they said they "couldnt get close enough"
    It starting looking like they had "1 bull in mind", and only that bull.
    They got that bull moose and good on them.
    But honestly, he was such a unique specimen, and absolutely in his prime (not over the hill!) and very unique antlers stc.
    I honestly have to say it was the first time i thought it was a shame to have taken that bull.
    I get why they wanted it for sure.
    But i am surprised the GO would allow that bull to be taken and not allow that bull a few years of breeding in the area.
    Guess money and notoriety was more important?
    And the bulls that were not taken, they were no slouches in that group, and definitely no shortage of bulls to take, so that
    wasn't a factor either!.

I guess getting older i am starting to view success in a much different manner.
    Also knowing that numbers are dwindling and the size quality starting to diminish at times as well.
    So, hearing you passed up a poor shot etc to allow the bull to keep going and who knows, you another opportunity is great
    to hear.
    It happens...you made the right choice.
    Most dont!

Good on you for passing on a bad shot. Nobody needs the likely bad outcome from taking that shot, whether you are 17 or 77, it still is a bad deal. Just seeing the thing is reward enough!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Your a better man for that decision.

I watched a Boone and Crockett mule deer walk away with a no positive outcome shot. I later shot a 2X2 point.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

You did not have an ethical shot I would like to think I would do the same thing . It’s one thing to shoot with an intended shot and have it not hit right where you wanted but to shoot otherwise Hmmm. But I have not shot a large amount of animals so it’s just my opinion
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Great story. Like you I probably reminisce about the ones that got away more than the ones hanging on my wall. Enjoy the rest of the season.

Nice work for passing up the shot. The young man on his first moose hunt got the thrill of seeing a huge bull and not the night of tracking and maybe losing a prime bull. I’m sure he respected your decision and learned a lesson on how and why it’s not all about the kill.

Great storey! Must have been a sight!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Sorry but you didnt pass on it if you didnt have a good shot..you just chose not to fling desperate lead in hopes of a good outcome. Go back for him next year!