Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passed on Largest Bull Moose I've ever seen

Re: Passed on Largest Bull Moose I've ever seen

the animals you shoot are soon forgotten.... Its the big animals you dont shoot that will live in you forever.

Its always the biggest that get away )

Good you did what lets you sleep at night, instead of being clouded in angst
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Its always the biggest that get away )

Good you did what lets you sleep at night, instead of being clouded in angst
    Some day that will happen but for now I still wake up dreaming about it. lol And for the record - it was the biggest moose I've ever seen BUT it's getting even bigger in my dreams!

That wouldn’t plague me too much. I’m happiest just getting out to see some animals, the meat is a bonus. I think it really shows your experience and passion for the hunt, not the kill.

I spend 11.5 months wondering what I did right or wrong in the previous season and two weeks trying to do the right thing. It doesn’t matter if i shoot an animal or not, I still wonder what I did that led to my success and what I could’ve done better. That’s what plagues me.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Isn't it funny what happens to some of our thinking once we reach the "Golden Age"?
    Kills don't matter so much, respect and appreciation of the animals increases, and the hardest one to believe, is killing a cull is more important than killing the prime animal. I say some of us because it's definitely happening to me but my hunting partner is still all about the inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Good on you!
    To me, having action is more important than the result....the hunt!
    Sitting around looking at nothing all day for a week sucks.
    Having to pass on a shot, but having the experience is still a win in my books.

Honestly, i watched a program a short time back.
    The person had their share of taking several nice bulls during the episode, and at times they said they "couldnt get close enough"
    It starting looking like they had "1 bull in mind", and only that bull.
    They got that bull moose and good on them.
    But honestly, he was such a unique specimen, and absolutely in his prime (not over the hill!) and very unique antlers stc.
    I honestly have to say it was the first time i thought it was a shame to have taken that bull.
    I get why they wanted it for sure.
    But i am surprised the GO would allow that bull to be taken and not allow that bull a few years of breeding in the area.
    Guess money and notoriety was more important?
    And the bulls that were not taken, they were no slouches in that group, and definitely no shortage of bulls to take, so that
    wasn't a factor either!.

I guess getting older i am starting to view success in a much different manner.
    Also knowing that numbers are dwindling and the size quality starting to diminish at times as well.
    So, hearing you passed up a poor shot etc to allow the bull to keep going and who knows, you another opportunity is great
    to hear.
    It happens...you made the right choice.
    Most dont!
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Now ain't that the truth!!

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    the animals you shoot are soon forgotten.... Its the big animals you dont shoot that will live in you forever.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

I was talking to my hunting partner the other day and we were debriefing about our last two years hunting. What was the best part of the hunt for you? My answer - Still having the health to be here. period. Everything else is a bonus.