Thread: Compulsory Report Reg 6 Moose

Compulsory Report Reg 6 Moose

A recent change was made to the regulations last year requiring all moose shot in Regions 6-1 to 6-11 to be compulsory reported within 30 days of the kill. I noticed this change last year and reported my GOS Reg 6 bull that I got last year. It was a pretty simple process phoned the report number for my city on the map page of the region I live in and book an appointment within 30 days of the kill. I needed to provide the date and location of the kill along with an incisor tooth as well as bring the horns for inspection.

During my LEH moose hunt this year it came to my attention that very few of the hunters in my area are aware of this change to the regulations. During the duration of my hunt I came across the discarded heads (horns removed) of six bulls that had been shot by other hunters and noticed that not one of them had had an incisor tooth removed. Meaning that the compulsory report was not likely to be made in each of these cases. It concerns me that this lack of awareness of a regulation change would be so prolific that EVERY carcass I found showed evidence of non-awareness or non-compliance.

Is this normal?

Its concerns me that such widespread ignorance could reflect negatively on this great sport of ours and the participants of it.
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Compulsory Report Reg 6 Moose

Status hunters don't have to report and are not obligated to take all portions.

The 3 day GOS for bull moose in much of Reg.6 only means more animals for our Status hunters...what a joke!

Actually that is Compulsory Inspection not Reporting. The inspector is also likely gong to ask you for a few square centimeters of hide with hair. In some cases the preferred hair comes from the long hair between the shoulder blades. The biologists in each region can have different requests for samples, measurements and observations to be obtained by the Inspector.
    Last edited by dracb; 10-21-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I'm not talking about status hunters. I'm talking about resident hunters hunting with an LEH and not taking the incisor tooth as required for making their compulsory report. Are guys just ignorant of the change in the regulations or are they intentionally ignoring the requirement.
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

Unless your not doing taxidermy and you are doing all the processing your self there is no real paper trail of a harvest. No paper trail would lead me to believe that it was a status hunter, illegal kill, someone trying to hide the success on the leh in order to hunt the gos or maybe a poach? If everything was done in accordance of the law why would you not do the reporting for conservation efforts?

More red flags than gold stars in my opinion