Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antler / Dot / Gypsum

Antler / Dot / Gypsum

Hey all,

I'm heading for a week's fishing with my little guy in August and figured I'd try to get some scouting in as well for the fall.

Back in 2012 I hunted this area and found it promising, but it was full fledged beetle kill logging mode and way too busy and barren at the time. I'm wondering if conditions have improved to the point where it's worth going back 4 years later?

We set up camp at Dot Lake at the time, it was okay but our site was not exactly level which made for an uncomfortable week. Gypsum or Leroy better perhaps? PM's welcome, hoping to get my 8 y/o in to some more trout but know August can be sketchy for fishing.

Cheers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Antler / Dot / Gypsum

Check your PM's - fun area!

Just did a similar trip to that area to introduce my 7yr. old grandson to fly fishing. We camped at Chataway Lk. which is over stocked with small and very eager fish. A hit every 5 mins. was the norm. As well as productive fishing the resort has an adventure play ground and swimming area. When he had mastered the little fish, we did day trips to Gypsum which is only 4 kms. away.

Thanks Orion; any observations on the rec sites at Gypsum if you happened to take notice? Sounds like I'll hone in on one of two lakes in the area to spend the week with my 8 year old; probably alternating between the two getting some fishing in during the days. If his grandpa promises to behave, I might even invite him too

Tyner is another good one in the zone. Better camp sites

Right, thanks MB. I'm familiar with the camp sites at Tyner too - they're nice for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    Thanks Orion; any observations on the rec sites at Gypsum if you happened to take notice? Sounds like I'll hone in on one of two lakes in the area to spend the week with my 8 year old; probably alternating between the two getting some fishing in during the days. If his grandpa promises to behave, I might even invite him too
    We launched at the opposite end to the campsite so don't know current state but in the past there were only two small sites.

That area used to be awesome for Moose. Not since they clearcut the crap out of the entire area though!

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    Are you supplying the beer?
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Well, your grandson is thrilled to get out 'man camping' and wants to catch his first fish solo. Now, just to get the .17 HMRs sighted in so we can plink some hare while we're up there too and we'll be good to go.