Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GOS Sheep season GOING TO LEH

Re: GOS Sheep season GOING TO LEH

thought that was the purpose of this new fancy schmancy Alliance, to hash this stuff out before it gets to reg season
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Arrow Re: GOS Sheep season GOING TO LEH

In addition to the feedback I submitted to counter the likes of LBM, I sent directed letters to my MLA, Horgan, and Conroy.
    In those I reiterated the concerns I had previously noted, and added in several from the above template.
    I will post any reply that might be forthcoming...

Suggest any with concerns in this matter do the same ASAP.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Wonder if they will bring up about the sick sheep dying off last year in the east kootenays
    You just answered your own "Questioning".
    How is limiting hunters going to solve "sick sheep"???
    Prolong their inevitable decline, yes, but these changes, "especially in R4, is not going to address the "real factors"!
    Which is typical of the Government/Ministry/ Bios.

If the Ministry actually were to say, okay, we are going to revamp some critical sheep habitat, treat the sheep in those areas,
    as well as cull Preds to provide them protection, then yes, I suppose i would support limiting, if not even closing the season for
    up to 5 years etc, BECAUSE, they would actually have a plan to address the atual factors, and limiting hunting would help those
    aids help sheep rebound.

But that's not the case.
    The only plan, like always, is to just close off hunting or limit it.
    Look at the entire province overall, and look where that thought process and implementation has gotten them/us.
    Nowhere!

You answered you own question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    You just answered your own "Questioning".
    How is limiting hunters going to solve "sick sheep"???
    Prolong their inevitable decline, yes, but these changes, "especially in R4, is not going to address the "real factors"!
    Which is typical of the Government/Ministry/ Bios.

If the Ministry actually were to say, okay, we are going to revamp some critical sheep habitat, treat the sheep in those areas,
    as well as cull Preds to provide them protection, then yes, I suppose i would support limiting, if not even closing the season for
    up to 5 years etc, BECAUSE, they would actually have a plan to address the atual factors, and limiting hunting would help those
    aids help sheep rebound.

But that's not the case.
    The only plan, like always, is to just close off hunting or limit it.
    Look at the entire province overall, and look where that thought process and implementation has gotten them/us.
    Nowhere!

You answered you own question.
    Predators are not the issue in 4 -25 or 35 or some of the MUs or at least not the ones people think.
    When wildlife numbers get to a low level all things matter.
    My question was wonder if they would bring up the sick sheep in the east kootenay since disease in sheep
    seemed like what the webinar was on. you answered none of that.

Thoughts on the webinar zoom meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    Thoughts on the webinar zoom meeting?
    I thought it was good overall, but was left wanting more on their logic to not include rams in the treatment.

Sure, it’s great that the early data indicates their treatment of ewes and lambs works (high lamb recruitment for following years), but he said it himself, one reason the wild sheep get sick is that rams try to breed domestic sheep and then bring the M.Ovi. to the wild ewes come rut season. That would indicate a risk in the long-term for reinfection of treated herds by rams that weren’t treated. That could only be exacerbated by the restriction of ram hunting (i.e., less hunters on the ground killing rams means there are more infected rams left in the wild).

But, I must be missing something regarding the risk posed by rams, because he seemed confident that the plan was as solid as it could be.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    I thought it was good overall, but was left wanting more on their logic to not include rams in the treatment.

Sure, it’s great that the early data indicates their treatment of ewes and lambs works (high lamb recruitment for following years), but he said it himself, one reason the wild sheep get sick is that rams try to breed domestic sheep and then bring the M.Ovi. to the wild ewes come rut season. That would indicate a risk in the long-term for reinfection of treated herds by rams that weren’t treated. That could only be exacerbated by the restriction of ram hunting (i.e., less hunters on the ground killing rams means there are more infected rams left in the wild).

But, I must be missing something regarding the risk posed by rams, because he seemed confident that the plan was as solid as it could be.
    i agree with what you’re saying.
    One existing M.Ovi carrier ram seems to be just as big a threat as one that mixes with domestics, picks up the disease and packs it to wild sheep.