Thread: How much wind is too much for snow geese?

How much wind is too much for snow geese?

Trying to decide whether to head out Thursday or Friday for snow geese in Delta. Wind is forecast to be 25-35 on Thursday and 20-30 on Friday diminishing later in the day.

Periods of rain Thursday, more rain Friday.

I've been at this a few years now, but I can't say I've figured it out yet. Can we expect them to fly lower in this weather?
    Last edited by MichelD; 10-18-2021 at 12:59 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How much wind is too much for snow geese?

I would kind of want to go out just to see

I did do a bit of snowie shooting two or three years back at Brunswick in that kind of wind and it was freaky fun. I mean how do you even aim. I had one flock skirting shooting range and the wind was just making them stand still in just off the surf but I had no idea where to put my shot. 10 birds in front? 15? And how far would I have to swim to retrieve one if I had hit it? I didn't make any observation on whether they were flying lower. I just think the wind did make them move at least, which was better than seeing them sit in a field doing nothing.

Wind is Good, IMO it gets them off the foreshore, moves them inland, makes your deeks more lifelike. Like wind sox or flyers.

Ive always loved water fowling in a good strong wind , if setting floaters though, try to place them where there's not a chop, but calmer edges with landing zones infront of you.

The Plus is it makes them dip and dive even more. It's a gas !
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Wind is only too much, on the Prairie, when the decoys make like tumbleweeds.

I had one night last year where the ducks were coming in at their usual 25-30 kms, but the wind was 70+ from behind, so passing speed was 100+. Totally ridiculous to be out, and I of course tried for a couple, but I bet you can guess how many I went home with!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.