Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stone Glacier

Re: Stone Glacier

Quote Originally Posted by thomas300 View Post
    Id recommend my SG pack any day. Mystery Ranch ive heard great things about as well. kuiu not so great things but i heard they have fixed issues they had
    I bought a SG frame from a member on here back in 2017 and it's been great. However, i do think that the adjustability for them is really not great. Sure, you can lengthen/shorten the torso by moving the shoulder straps on them, but you can't adjust the height of the frame stays.

That means, if you size the pack for a very tall torso like i have, the load lifters become less and less effective! Ideally, there should be a way to raise up the load lifters attachment points at the same time as you raise up the shoulder straps. Only then will things stay consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    They are still a small company. The bigger you get the less you care. And to be honest, the less you CAN care.

It's just not feasible to be calling people for one on one tech support when you sell 10,000 of something a month.

Stone glacier isn't quite there yet
    Two70 - i totally agree, but then again sort of disagree. As small companies become bigger, the temptation to keep staff levels (see profit margin) at bare minimum is IMO the problem. Also as the company becomes bigger (through sales of course) the more products are moved, thus the need for tech support becomes larger. If said outfit does not hire more staff, the current employees burden gets much larger typically equating to staff stress and fatigue levels rising. This in turn accounts for the service typically going downhill especially in the tech support department (too busy packing boxes etc.. or snappy stressed out tech reps who really would rather not talk to you due to the 1000 other things required of them). Just something i have noted throughout my career in trades and at the local Mom and Pops over the years.
    What have you found?
    Thanks for the report T300.
    Links
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

I bought a SG frame from a member on here back in 2017 and it's been great. However, i do think that the adjustability for them is really not great. Sure, you can lengthen/shorten the torso by moving the shoulder straps on them, but you can't adjust the height of the frame stays.

That means, if you size the pack for a very tall torso like i have, the load lifters become less and less effective! Ideally, there should be a way to raise up the load lifters attachment points at the same time as you raise up the shoulder straps. Only then will things stay consistent.
    That's a benefit of the Exo k3 system that i like
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    That's a benefit of the Exo k3 system that i like

Is it adjustable or just offered in several sizes?

Is it adjustable or just offered in several sizes?
    You would choose one of their frames short or tall and then you can adjust each individual frame by another 1 1/2". It's not indefinably adjustable if that's truly what you are after but it does allow for some extra tweaking. You are basically just adding frame height which then raises your load lifters.

I do like your idea of a fully adjustable frame height option. That would be great.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

You should take a look at exo or seek outside if you want that option

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Tore my SG pants this year ,sent SG a pic they sent me a brand new pair, could not believe it .Best part I bought them when Wholesale was going out of business paid less than half price.(only 3 pair left and one was my size )
    SG didnt sell pants in wholesale sports. You must be thinking of sitka?

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    You should take a look at exo or seek outside if you want that option
    Might be a good option to swap packs with someone on here who owns an Exo for a month. I'd be curious to see how i like the EXO and someone might be curious how the Stone Glacier one runs.

Might be a good option to swap packs with someone on here who owns an Exo for a month. I'd be curious to see how i like the EXO and someone might be curious how the Stone Glacier one runs.
    Seems like everytime i see an exo pack with a heavy load you can see the lumbar section of the pack sagging way down the guys back. Ive never worn one so cant say for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    Seems like everytime i see an exo pack with a heavy load you can see the lumbar section of the pack sagging way down the guys back. Ive never worn one so cant say for sure though.
    I am a fan of the Exo belt for comfort and durability but yes if it is not super tight their packs do tend to work their way down. I feel like it's a mixture of a poorly designed lumbar pad and the belt material. That being said I have used my k3 frame to pack out two black bears and it was fine. I stuffed some extra foam in the lumbar and that seemed to help some.
    WSSBC
    CCFR