Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Damn near extinction:" Interior steelhead run expected to be very small

Re: "Damn near extinction:" Interior steelhead run expected to be very small

I am not very optimistic that these unique steelhead runs can be saved.
    Hoards don't really care about, amazing, unique things.
    It's kind of funny when you read about these environmentalists going ballistic when rare owl, or some endangered frog or salamander are killed, but when a fish that BC is known for the world over is going extinct nobody says anything.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I am not very optimistic that these unique steelhead runs can be saved.
    Hoards don't really care about, amazing, unique things.
    It's kind of funny when you read about these environmentalists going ballistic when rare owl, or some endangered frog or salamander are killed, but when a fish that BC is known for the world over is going extinct nobody says anything.
    Without a doubt, you are sadly correct.
    They are much more concerned about "freeing brittany speers"!!
    But then again, that is the general public.
    This is a matter for the DFO/Government both federally and provincially to put their foot down, regardless of reconciliation or
    unmarked graves or whatever else is stopping "common sense and real action".

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Without a doubt, you are sadly correct.
    They are much more concerned about "freeing brittany speers"!!
    But then again, that is the general public.
    This is a matter for the DFO/Government both federally and provincially to put their foot down, regardless of reconciliation or
    unmarked graves or whatever else is stopping "common sense and real action".
    Not that I agree with nets at all but if you haven't listened to the episode on the cutbanks conversation I highly recommend it. The numbers are astonishing and some of the science regarding the information is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    Not that I agree with nets at all but if you haven't listened to the episode on the cutbanks conversation I highly recommend it. The numbers are astonishing and some of the science regarding the information is very interesting.
    Will do, just saw the link by Nog

I think Nog has already mentioned this, but is was watching the Pacific Angler Report for last friday, and it does sound like
    even the Chum run is pretty poor this year.

Hate to say this folks, by i wonder if we do need to "re-invent the wheel" for fishing on a commercial/FN level.
    Maybe it is time to get rid of the nets altogether , offshore (sorry Nog!) and in river.
    And i am serious with this next part.
    Maybe we need a combined fishery of both groups (commercial/FN) but using some real high tech wheels at the mouth of all
    our rivers working shoulder to shoulder
    At least any non target fish caught in these wheel scoops can be released for the most part safely and on their way.
    Work out the percentages of how much the commercial keep to sell, how much the FN keep to distribute amongst bands on a
    particular river and whats left they can sell commercially.
    At least we would have an accurate count of what is taken.
    Maybe save those species that need saving.
    Yup, it would mean a lot of boats up for sale.
    Certainly a change in lifestyle for some.
    But hey, all salmon/steelhead do have to go from Ocean to river.
    Where better to catch them anyways.

I know that seems far fetched.
    But if we dont really overhaul the whole system, from top down and come up with a much better way to harvest, than i see it
    all going south real quick.
    And i know, there are many issues...complex ones that create this crap.
    But using nets, no matter whom, for salmon type species, just seems so old school and maybe not the way forward.
    Too destructive and nobody knows who is doing what anymore.

Just my thoughts...
    I might be totally wrong here but the bottom is falling out folks!

Arrow Re: "Damn near extinction:" Interior steelhead run expected to be very small

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Maybe it is time to get rid of the nets altogether , offshore (sorry Nog!) and in river.

I might be totally wrong here but the bottom is falling out folks!
    Nothing to be sorry about.
    I am an Area G TROLLER. No nets involved.

In your latter statement you are correct.
    And DFO twiddles it's collective thumbs while Rome is burning...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

That special interest group is out there netting below the Golden Ears Bridge today.. 58…57…56….55

Thumbs down Re: "Damn near extinction:" Interior steelhead run expected to be very small

And we just got a new totally unqualified DFO Minister with a background in activism and reconciliation support.

What could possibly go wrong...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I am surprised with so many private documentary people out there, that no one is doing a story on this and the cover up.
    I talked to a couple who do documentaries, and it was right over their heads when i explained it to them.
    They say there are plenty of stories already done on it.
    I guess they were thinking salmon???

What is needed is someone big to do a story.
    Someone who can do it well enough and get in on netflix etc.
    Dont even know why are local big news channels aren't trying to "uncover" the story.
    Losing Steelhead is just as bad as the carbon crisis and happening right here in our back yard.
    Really puzzled these days.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    And we just got a new totally unqualified DFO Minister with a background in activism and reconciliation support.

What could possibly go wrong...

Nog
    Yup, cant wait to see how the boys down at Pacific Anglers are feeling with this news.
    Jason wont be happy.