Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Damn near extinction:" Interior steelhead run expected to be very small

Thumbs down "Damn near extinction:" Interior steelhead run expected to be very small

"Damn near extinction:" Interior steelhead run expected to be very small

In the past, the federal government has declined to pursue an emergency listing of the Interior steelhead as endangered under the Species At Risk Act, citing the adverse impact of widespread fishery closures on First Nations, recreational and commercial fisheries.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...-be-very-small
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: "Damn near extinction:" Interior steelhead run expected to be very small

Dfo and the Feds are completely useless. What needs to happen is a complete closure on net use first and foremost, then a complete rehabilitation program for all stocks. Stop blaming climate whatever and sitting on your hands. A boots to the ground approach and cash injected to support habitat/spawning grounds and hatcheries. Saw all this coming when I brood stocked and it could have been a huge turnaround if they acted then. But oh no, wait till there’s a complete collapse and pass it off as climate whatever. Such a joke; everyone involved should be fired without compensation and no pensions.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

They've been talking about the dire straights of the Interior Steelhead for years. I honestly thought that they had gone quietly extinct already
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"

No surprise here Nog

It's quite sickening what our Government has watched for years, know full well what's been happening, yet done nothing.

Very disturbing actually letting it get to what it is now.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggdon View Post
    They've been talking about the dire straights of the Interior Steelhead for years. I honestly thought that they had gone quietly extinct already
    THIS!!! It would be nice to see the government give a rats ass! as mentioned, hatcheries, closures, maybe throw in a seal/sea lion cull. Im not an expert but something has to be better than nothing.....

Arrow Re: "Damn near extinction:" Interior steelhead run expected to be very small

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Those pesky steelhead get in the way of so many environmentally insensitive projects. It's a tragedy that didn't have to happen.

B.C. motto told to me 45 years ago, "Log it burn it pave it". Say no more...........

I don't think world economy, population, globalization care about one fish in one body of water.
    As much as it pains me to see it, it's a simple effect of human population growth.
    If world population reaches 10 B as projected, BC will lose many species of wild animals and many wild places.
    Russia, Alaska and BC are the last bastions of true wilderness and BC much less than the others.
    Because I've lived in Europe and know that there are no wild places in Europe left, this will be the fate of BC as well.
    If Canadian agenda of reaching 100 M in population by 2100 is accomplished, we will be the last generations who will enjoy hunting/fishing/outdoors like it is right now.
    Yesterday I went fishing after a couple of years to one of my favourite small rivers and it was a work day.
    I figured there wouldn't be many people out.
    I was shocked to see how many people were out 1 hour before sunrise parked and waiting for daylight.
    It's horrifying.
    European landlocked salmon (Lat. Hucho hucho) from the Taimen family, is also almost extinct in many rivers.
    It exists in few pristine rivers and threatened in many.

But as it always is, new generations don't know what they are missing.
    Much like we don't really understand what it means to "walk on the backs of salmon",
    new generations won't know what it means to catch a steelhead.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I don't think world economy, population, globalization care about one fish in one body of water.
    As much as it pains me to see it, it's a simple effect of human population growth.
    If world population reaches 10 B as projected, BC will lose many species of wild animals and many wild places.
    Russia, Alaska and BC are the last bastions of true wilderness and BC much less than the others.
    Because I've lived in Europe and know that there are no wild places in Europe left, this will be the fate of BC as well.
    If Canadian agenda of reaching 100 M in population by 2100 is accomplished, we will be the last generations who will enjoy hunting/fishing/outdoors like it is right now.
    Yesterday I went fishing after a couple of years to one of my favourite small rivers and it was a work day.
    I figured there wouldn't be many people out.
    I was shocked to see how many people were out 1 hour before sunrise parked and waiting for daylight.
    It's horrifying.
    European landlocked salmon (Lat. Hucho hucho) from the Taimen family, is also almost extinct in many rivers.
    It exists in few pristine rivers and threatened in many.

But as it always is, new generations don't know what they are missing.
    Much like we don't really understand what it means to "walk on the backs of salmon",
    new generations won't know what it means to catch a steelhead.
    That’s a rather alarmist outlook. You need only look to our brothers south of the border to see that hunting and angling can thrive with a population of 328 million on roughly 1/3 of the land mass we have.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."