Thread: Spotted an elusive spike fork. Will he be there in 2 weeks?

Spotted an elusive spike fork. Will he be there in 2 weeks?

As the title states, I spotted an elusive spike fork moose while out whitetail hunting. I was working the edges of a clearcut and came around a corner and there he was, along with another moose who was barely more than a forkie himself. 40 yds or less, but not yet in season.
    My question is, do you think I could expect to find him in the same general area, or is it likely he will have moved by a large distance over the next week or two?
    Curious what others have experienced regarding moose movement and range, and chances of re-finding a previously spotted moose.

Thanks
    Last edited by ab3; 10-18-2021 at 04:20 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spotted an elusive spike fork. Will he be there in 2 weeks?

Better odds buying a 6/49 ticket .......
    Moose being moose is a total crap shoot .
    Put your time in at were you last seen him and best of luck .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

So you're telling me there IS a chance.........
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

If there isnt snow or preds pushing him around I would be he will be in the area...now that will be a few square kms of area but probably not far from where you saw him. As long as he has good food, cover and not getting pushed out. Good luck

Sit call and findout no other option spray down set lure and try before its not an opyion Ide suggest take advantage of tech well its an option lure and call for a few days pm if you want help

When does the season open? My experience has been they tend to move and get together with other moose near the end of October. I’ve been out scouting moose in October and seen moose and lots of sign to go back November 1 and there’s nothing at all. Most of the guys I know who bag moose in the late season tend to see more than one when they see them.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Find the lake their both flirting with, might be another 1/2 mile back of the clear cut.

Found and bagged my Unicorn 3 years ago the same way, caught them play fighting on the edge of the harvested land and followed them back to a tiny lake about 2 miles from

the cut, hung out there every morning during the season and got lucky (10th day 7:45am misty and cold region

Good luck

ps the only calling i did was smashing trees and ripping the undergrowth with an old paddle i had (inspired by Shockey lol)
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

You go there and cow call and it just might show up. When the season opens.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"