Thread: 4-23/4-1 mule deer

4-23/4-1 mule deer

Been hunting this area now that I live here. I haven’t really seen all that many deer. I’ve mostly been between 1800-2000m for elevation. Walking high ridges and glassing hill sides. Some areas have more sign then others, but I’ve only seen a couple does. I think these warm afternoons have them bedded more during the day.
    I’m wondering where others are finding the deer are? Mainly elevation and habitat. I tend to stick closer to the sparwood area as i hate driving to long in the morning before hiking in the dark.
    i get the feeling the bucks are in small pockets in big country. Or in town.

on the plus side, a couple cow elk crossed the road in front of me yesterday. I followed where they went in to the thick stuff. After abit I found a small herd, couldn’t see a legal bull though, just a younger 4 point who stayed back hiding in some bushes.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 4-23/4-1 mule deer

Well, I found mule deer. In 4-01. Another spot I like to glass was taken in the morning, so I went some where new. Picked a ridge, walked in there and sat till dark. Handful of does appear around 430ish, then around 620ish a buck skylines himself. Looked wide and heavy. I got the spotter out and could only make out 3 points. Maybe 4 on one side but it was probably a twig. Since I was glassing from the bottom up, he was abit to far to make a last minute run on him to confirm points. I didn’t spook them or anything, so hopefully in a day or two he will be back with a bigger brother.
    on another note, no sign of rutting yet. Completely ignored the does. His neck didn’t look swelled up yet. Maybe another week or two.
    so once again I find a big 3 point, grizzlies and wolf tracks.

Re: 4-23/4-1 mule deer

I would sure like to hear how those living in the EK are finding the MD pops.
    The MU that i just came back from was extremely concerning in my opinion when it comes to MD.
    Usually i see MD Doe feeding on a particular mtn side for years but noticed the drop in #'s over time.
    But this year, i didn't see a single one up there.
    Granted, this MU is definitely changed over the years for many ungulates.