Thread: Smoked Bear Ribs for the Win!

Smoked Bear Ribs for the Win!

Well after a couple mediocre attempts at smoking moose/deer ribs, I gave a try at some super fatty bear ribs from a boar we got last week that was gorging on blueberries. Every time I have attempted moose/deer ribs they have always had great flavor but turned out quite dry. My attempts have been on a kamado grill trying to just smoke them similar to a pork or beef rib, without braising or pressure cooking first.

Well the bear ribs ended up quite different. I cleaned up the racks, pulled the membrane and made up a rub of salt, pepper, paprikia, onion, garlic, cumin and few other things. Rubbed the ribs down and got the smoker stabilized at around 250F indirect heat with a few chunks of apple smoking wood. Ribs were put on unwrapped and left for about 1.5hr. Fearing that they were going to dry out, I pulled the ribs, wrapped them in tinfoil with a splash of apple cider vinegar and a few pads of butter. Back on the grill for another hour with temp up a little around 300. Pulled the ribs and they were probing tender with a temp just north of 200. Let them rest for a while and when I cut in, the juices started pouring out. All that berry fat did wonders to keep the meat moist. Highly recommended. Served beside some of my mom's recipe Mac and Cheese and it was a great meal.

Will definitely go get another fall bear. These ribs and the 12 liters of lard we rendered off of him were fantastic!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Smoked Bear Ribs for the Win!

Sounds good, fat sure makes a difference when you smoke meat. I braise moose and deer ribs rather than smoke them. Keeps them moist.

Thumbs up Re: Smoked Bear Ribs for the Win!

Sounds Great!!

Bear tag in hand and will keep this in mind...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

BBQ black bear ribs is one of our favourites...I like to get a smaller bear <150 lbs in early spring for eating!

Thx for sharing your recipe, sounds delicious!

Never had dry ribs when using the 3-2-1 method, smoke between 185-200deg

Why are there no pictures!!! lol
    Just a conspiracy bro!