Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Late season boots

Re: Late season boots

Schnees 13 inch high

Quote Originally Posted by Salix View Post
    I got a pair of the Hanwag trappers this summer and wore them for early elk trip. No issues with too hot of feet. The insulation is only in the foot bed. that being said I know what you mean about late season cold feet.
    First question is what are you hunting and what type of hunting. If hiking and packing you need good hiking type boots with insulation. I feel with good wool socks the hanwags would work ok if hiking but not if sitting.
    Ive been in the north a long time and work in forestry. For hunting and work once freezing and snow starts I go to a decent winter pack boot or the past few years a rubber insulated work boot with bama socks. As mentioned the muck boots are warm and waterproof but I found the pair I had didn’t last. Now running the Dunlop rubber boot, good to -40. I put miles on them but they don’t have great ankle support if you are looking for that. They keep the feet warm thought.
    Hunting will be for both mule/whitetail as well as moose once season opens up in November. I only hunted till late November previously but being this will be my first archery season after rifle closes and assuming I have a whitetail tag I would be hunting in December as well. I do a bit of both at times hiking and then sitting. Generally sitting dusk/dawn and hiking throughout the day. I don't have issues with being cold when hiking only when I start sitting, and being I will likely be doing bow in December it would be a lot more sitting I'm thinking.

I also have a pair of the green Dunlop rubber boots I used to wear when working in Alberta. I ran Bama socks with them as well and never had an issue but I didn't do much sitting around. I mean I could run those or my heavier insulated -100 work boots but they are not the best for hiking in. Those could do for bow season I suppose if I go to where I'm thinking as not a far trek but for rifle season when I'm sitting and hiking they don't provide the support nor comfort for that.

Kind of looking for something that will do for both the hiking and sitting periods in the later part of the season once the snow starts (basically now). Hopefully they would work for the sitting part while bow hunting as well but if not I'd go with one of the older insulated work boots.

One thing that can help cold feet when sitting is putting something under them like a piece of carpet or one of those foam mats. I use the foldable thermarest. I cut it in half and sit on one and put the other under my feet. That way I don’t need as warm of boots so my feet won’t sweat to
    bad when hiking. Sweaty feet get cold fast when you stop moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Schnees 13 inch high
    These! or the Sorel Caribou or if you can find them Mavericks. I ran around in the bush for years in Mavericks and they were some of the best!

I now wear Muck Arctic Pro and they are great, warm and waterproof.

Here is another post with the same question

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ighlight=sorel

Good luck in your search

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I’m very happy with the pair of Hanwag Trappers I recently purchased. Quality is excellent, Gortex liner is awesome and I won’t have much issue with cold feet while hunting. If I do I’ll switch to my Sorel pack boots.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

I wear the Hanwag Alaska all year, hunting in the spring, hiking all summer and then hunting all fall. Generally my feet are warm enough but during November whitetail they did get cold while sitting. I started bringing some toe warmers to put in them but this year I bought some Muck Insulated boots. I am still pretty mobile when I hunt whitetails but the terrain is generally less rough and packs are lighter. Haven't had a chance to use them much.