Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12 year old gets his first duck...

Re: 12 year old gets his first duck...

Awesome job. I remember my first duck shoot. Lots of shooting no duck. Good shooting young man!

Very KOOL of you Redthies - Your a Good Man and Mentor to the Kid ! Congrats to the NEW duck hunter - RJ

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I’ll pass on your congratulations to him. I don’t have kids of my own to bring into the hunting tradition, so this is as good as I can do. I was definitely stoked to see him get one!
    congrats to both of you, that’s awesome and thank you for helping him with all that stuff, that’s so good of you, please enter him in the youth hunting contest, link below

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...unting-contest
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    congrats to both of you, that’s awesome and thank you for helping him with all that stuff, that’s so good of you, please enter him in the youth hunting contest, link below

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...unting-contest
    I absolutely will enter him in this. It’s a great thing you are doing too! Very generous of you!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

We went back out today, and he got his first goose too! A nice snow goose. There have been a ton of them way further east than normal. It’s 10:15 pm and we just finished plucking and wrapping the birds. He and his mom live in Victoria, so up at 5:00 to get the ferry home in time for school.

As a side bar on firsts, I shot my first Cackling tonight. We decided to pack it up a few minutes before last shot to get home and eat and dress the birds, and just as I was finished putting the decoys in the bag, a vee of geese came super low over us, and I realized I had #5 in my gun, started fumbling for some BB, and then said “bugger it, they are so low I’ll take a poke”. Dropped one instantly. Bang plop. It was a great end to a couple of fun days.

Redthies could you post a picture of the cackling you got? I would like to know the difference

I put down a Canada with #4 last week

The only really noticeable differences are the much shorter neck, and the yellow arrow is pointing at a white band that separates the neck from the body. There are some differences in feather tones on the body but that can vary bird to bird. The white ring of feathers at the base of the neck is the easiest tell for me. I’ll take another photo of the front side tomorrow. It shows that ring well. I’m letting it “hang” for a couple of days as I want to try and see what that does for the meat. Apparently it allows any adrenaline etc to settle down. No idea if it will make a difference, but I’m trying it with this one.

Bonus points to anyone who can tell me what the duck is beside the goose. I think it’s a Northern Shoveler?

Last edited by Redthies; 10-18-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks that is a good comparison and meets the descriptions I'd read about. I doubt I could tell them apart until I dropped one though

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    The only really noticeable differences are the much shorter neck, and the yellow arrow is pointing at a white band that separates the neck from the body. There are some differences in feather tones on the body but that can vary bird to bird. The white ring of feathers at the base of the neck is the easiest tell for me. I’ll take another photo of the front side tomorrow. It shows that ring well. I’m letting it “hang” for a couple of days as I want to try and see what that does for the meat. Apparently it allows any adrenaline etc to settle down. No idea if it will make a difference, but I’m trying it with this one.

Bonus points to anyone who can tell me what the duck is beside the goose. I think it’s a Northern Shoveler?

The bird beside the cackler is a shoveler hen for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    Redthies could you post a picture of the cackling you got? I would like to know the difference

I put down a Canada with #4 last week
    Cacklers are visibly smaller in size than a Canada goose and have a different call, hence the name cackler. have a listen on this link Cackling Goose Sounds, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
    Last edited by VLD43; 10-18-2021 at 08:38 PM.