Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 year old gets his first duck...

12 year old gets his first duck...

I am mentoring my wife’s best friends son. She is a single mom, who is cool enough to have gone out and gotten her CORE since her son is such a keen hunter. I’ve taken him out for grouse, and now twice for ducks.

His 13th birthday is a week away, so I surprised him with a trip to Reliable yesterday (said we needed steel shot) and bought him his first gun. He is a big kid, so I got him a Canuck 20 gauge pump. Mossy Oak bottomland stocks and dark bronze ceracote on the steel. It’s a pretty cool looking gun, so he is super thrilled.

We assembled, cleaned and lubed it, and then headed to the bay. We got there a bit early for the night flight, and I dropped a lone bird almost right away, and then we had very little action until dusk. He had taken a shot at some high flying ducks more to just pull the trigger on the new gun than anything. With about 10 mins of legal light left, he got his first duck! A wigeon flying fast and low. A great shot for anyone frankly. I taught him to “try an miss it in front”, and that is what he did. Hits in the head and neck. This was his first animal of any sort, so a very significant moment for an aspiring hunter. We are headed back out again this afternoon, but with a lot less pressure for him to put on himself.

This kid has an amazing grasp of ethics and integrity for his age. I think he’s going to be a heck of a hunter and ambassador for our sport.

Last edited by Redthies; 10-17-2021 at 08:35 AM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 12 year old gets his first duck...

Good on you Redthies! I bet it was a proud moment for yourself as well.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Great job Redthies!! Wish there were more people like you out there. Congrats to the young man too!!! Taking a wigeon on the first go is impressive for sure.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Well done to both of you!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

This a great thing you are doing mentoring that young fella ! Hurray for you and way to go young fella !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I’ll pass on your congratulations to him. I don’t have kids of my own to bring into the hunting tradition, so this is as good as I can do. I was definitely stoked to see him get one!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

awesome stuff! Good on you for taking him out!
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Love reading stories like this, keep up the good work and congratulations to the both of you.

Fantastic! You're a good one for doing this.

I would put in the time to do the same if I knew any young ones who's parents were willing to participate.

Great job both of you congrats!