Thread: 7-28 leh moose hunt

7-28 leh moose hunt

Get it out the way first , delicious tag soup.

Father in law , his buddy and myself went up to 7-28 by skunk lake / nations river area
    first Time for me up in this region and my god is it vast and beautiful! Furthest north was fort Nelson on the techodi river. Anyways, beautiful country. First three days was sunny and warm out. Didn’t see a moose and zero sign anywhere. Third night decided to snow all night and woke up to about 8 inches of snow on the ground. Got out early in the tracker and hit the road. Went high and deep and found one section of road covered in different moose tracks and at the end was maybe 20ft X 20ft section of flat ground, moose hair everywhere and snow just trampled. So to me must of been two bull moose there fighting. Called all day in the same area for two days and nothing, no new sign on the road either. So I thought they might of just been moving and went further down into the valley, whatever. That was about the most “excitement” for the trip. Couple days the snow was gone and in that time no new tracks.
    so again, this is my first ever actual moose hunt. Learnt a lot ( I hope) explored new country and ate and drank good at night. Home made wall tent with a wood stove worked extremely well.
    in total saw 6 moose, two cows on the road, 2 ass ends of moose walking into the bush, and one cow moose far in a cut block and ONE actual small bull moose about 800yards away that I had no chance in making that happen. Once I saw him, been sitting for 4 hrs I called every 15 mins for the day and he didn’t show, couldn’t see him anywhere and that was in the last full days hunt before heading home.

twice over the trip we left early to get to a spot and came around the bend to two seperate bull moose on the road with the hunters putting their rifles away in the truck. Just the luck of the draw I suppose.

recap
    huge vast country. Seems to me that you have most success just covering ground and road hunting up there unless your more experienced and know what your doing. Was tons of fun, and I’d go back in a heartbeat. Father in law and buddy are still up there for another week so fingers crossed.
    Member of CCFR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7-28 leh moose hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Get it out the way first , delicious tag soup.

Father in law , his buddy and myself went up to 7-28 by skunk lake / nations river area
    first Time for me up in this region and my god is it vast and beautiful! Furthest north was fort Nelson on the techodi river. Anyways, beautiful country. First three days was sunny and warm out. Didn’t see a moose and zero sign anywhere. Third night decided to snow all night and woke up to about 8 inches of snow on the ground. Got out early in the tracker and hit the road. Went high and deep and found one section of road covered in different moose tracks and at the end was maybe 20ft X 20ft section of flat ground, moose hair everywhere and snow just trampled. So to me must of been two bull moose there fighting. Called all day in the same area for two days and nothing, no new sign on the road either. So I thought they might of just been moving and went further down into the valley, whatever. That was about the most “excitement” for the trip. Couple days the snow was gone and in that time no new tracks.
    so again, this is my first ever actual moose hunt. Learnt a lot ( I hope) explored new country and ate and drank good at night. Home made wall tent with a wood stove worked extremely well.
    in total saw 6 moose, two cows on the road, 2 ass ends of moose walking into the bush, and one cow moose far in a cut block and ONE actual small bull moose about 800yards away that I had no chance in making that happen. Once I saw him, been sitting for 4 hrs I called every 15 mins for the day and he didn’t show, couldn’t see him anywhere and that was in the last full days hunt before heading home.

twice over the trip we left early to get to a spot and came around the bend to two seperate bull moose on the road with the hunters putting their rifles away in the truck. Just the luck of the draw I suppose.

recap
    huge vast country. Seems to me that you have most success just covering ground and road hunting up there unless your more experienced and know what your doing. Was tons of fun, and I’d go back in a heartbeat. Father in law and buddy are still up there for another week so fingers crossed.
    Huntingtyler
    seeing blood on the hands of other hunters hunting the the same vicinity as you.. tough pill to swallow. We have all been there. Good strategy focusing on area with obvious sign. Get a little off the beaten track with a clear sight line and call until your lungs and patience fail. #Srupp
    Last edited by whitespringer; 10-16-2021 at 09:13 PM.
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

I've hunted bear in 7-28, it's indeed beautiful country. Hopefully your crew can knock one down before they head home
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Sounds like a good hunt,
    homemade camps are the best
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Well I think you were there at the right time and calling is a great way to get them to come in . I have had moose hunting trips with the same results as yourself . Once we were moose hunting doing everything right and did not see an animal , another hunter from a different group had to go to town from 2 hours back in the bush for a part to their outboard and dropped a huge bull that was right in the middle of logging road ! One never knows . You do your research give your best effort and well….. Hope for some luck . Hope your FIL brings one home !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

https://imgur.com/a/4wts8DA

here’s the home made wall tent if the link works
    thanks fellas , was indeed fun. I did go home with lots of grouse. Every day kid you not there would be 8-12 grouse lumped together on a road all the time. Most grouse I’ve ever seen lol
    Member of CCFR

That works !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Love the front door!
    MM

Had a few moose hunts like that..