Thread: Sliwka

Thumbs up Sliwka

My bowhunting partner Tad graced us with a very fine chocolate from his home country called Sliwka.
    Essentially they are a candied plum covered in chocolate.
    My Lady loves them, and guards them quite jealously when they appear...

Another buddy this fall informed me he had a serious abundance of plums, and asked if I could dehydrate a few for him.
    Certainly!
    While doing so, it came to me that I might actually be able to imitate to some extent the Sliwka from Poland all on my own...

So, after letting the not-completely-dried plums age a spell (they take on an entirely different flavour when you do this) I picked up a few bags of chocolate to give it a whirl...
    Heated the chocolate in our fondue set-up and drug the plums through that when melted.
    Then tossed them on wax paper to set:

Then I set the pan load into the freezer to really set them up.
    About an hour later...

She Who Rules suggests I have nailed it.
    I rather like them myself, and now am setting forth to create enough of a stash I might actually get in on a few myself this time around!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sliwka

Nog you really are a foodie ! Great job there !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Nog you really piss me off with those pictures. I would eat those by the handful but then my diabetes would kill me........
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Those look delicious. Nice to see you made them yourself. I buy sliwka from the polish deli in maple ridge sometimes, they sure are good
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by goatdancer View Post
    Nog you really piss me off with those pictures. I would eat those by the handful but then my diabetes would kill me........
    x2…they look delicious

My Japanese friend taught me how to make a really good liquor with green plums.
    It has a sweet almost almond flavour, but very distinct.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Brew . There’s a polish deli in Maple Ridge do tell . I live in Haney have since 1966 .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    Those look delicious. Nice to see you made them yourself. I buy sliwka from the polish deli in maple ridge sometimes, they sure are good
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

HMM ! What is sliwka?

Chocolate-covered prunes, also known as plums in chocolate or prunes in chocolate (Polish: śliwka w czekoladzie, Russian: чернослив в шоколаде, tr. ... A chocolate-covered prune or plum is a typical Polish delicacy.

Thumbs up Re: Sliwka

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    My Japanese friend taught me how to make a really good liquor with green plums.
    It has a sweet almost almond flavour, but very distinct.
    One of the Gentz on another forum posted up his folk's recipe for the ripe plums liquor.
    I'll see if he minds if I share that one here too.
    It looks good, and I will be giving it a whirl...

Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thumbs up Re: Sliwka

Here is the liquor recipe:

This is the non-distilled (aka legal) way to replicate the “old country” moonshine my in-laws used to make:

Ingredients
    4 lb. ripe plums, halved, pitted, and roughly chopped
    2 cups sugar
    1 750-milliliter bottle brandy
    Instructions
    Combine plums and sugar in a 2-qt. glass jar; using a wooden spoon, crush and stir the plums and sugar together until all the sugar is moistened. Fill a quart-size resealable plastic bag halfway with water, seal it closed, and place it over the fruit; this will keep the fruit submerged as the sugar draws out its juices. Cover the jar with a triple layer of cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band. Let sit at room temperature for 2 weeks to ferment the plums.

Uncover and pour the plum liquid through a cheesecloth-lined strainer into a measuring cup; pour same amount of brandy from bottle into another measuring cup and reserve for another use. Pour plum liquid into bottle of brandy and seal. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. This drink can be served right away, but will mellow the longer it sits

Guess he got to Know me