Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help - contact cfo

Need help - contact cfo

Went to canadian tire to buy a new .22

the clerk ran my PAL and came up with “contact cfo of your province for validity of this licence”

now i keep to myself, i work out of town and havnt bought a firearm inawhile

this is news to me, no phone call, no letter nothin

i submitted my renewal form about a month ago

anyone got the # for cfo or dealt with this before? I have NO idea whats going on
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need help - contact cfo

did you let it expire? was it pal or rpal?

I think this is the number 1-800-731-4000

And the website https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...rearms-program

Not expired till mid november

thats why i did the renewal end of august

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

So I found this out a few years back...

What happens, is the moment your new license has been issued and from that time until you receive it in the mail, your old license (even if not expired) is "invalidated"

Technically, every time you renew, there is a period of time you are in possession of firearms without a valid license.

The CFO stance is "You shouldn't run into any issues as long as you keep them in storage until you receive your new license"

Anyway, that is the CFO stance and interpretations of the law. I am sure if / how the grace period laws apply (ie: if they are specific to expiration or if that includes the period the old license is invalidated when the new one has been issued before you have it) It was particularly inconvenient for me, because in one case, they issued my new license (making the one I possessed invalid) but it took several weeks to receive it in the mail because one of their license printers was broken, causing a huge backlog. Was told I am technically in possession of firearms without a license, so do not use or transport them. Keep them in storage and I "should" be okay, that I would be in trouble if I encountered a police officer. When I asked "well what if I needed to call the police to my home. Could I be charged for possessing firearms without a license" and the answer was "technically yes".

I am frustrated with how all these laws were written, the lack of foresight and the subsequent interpretations that appear to opportunistic and intentionally cause inconvenience and threat of punishment.

Another one is with ordering tags online now. The Wildlife Act states that you must have all tags that have been issued to you in your possession while hunting any species. Last year I found out that the second you order a tag online, it has been "Issued" to you and you are not allowed to hunt ANY species until you have that tag. The ministry confirmed that is their stance, that if I order a cougar tag in October for a winter pred hunt in January, I cannot hunt deer or grouse until I have possession of the cougar tag that I ordered.

I doubt anyone has been charged for any of these scenarios, but one has to be slightly annoyed with a system that forces firearm owners into a legal quagmire as standard procedure with no way around it.

Anyway, rant aside, this is why your gun purchase did not go through. It will once you get that new one in the mail. If you check online it will show that it is issued. Just need to wait for them to print it and get it out to you in the mail.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-15-2021 at 10:33 AM.

The thing I don’t understand is why they “ran your pal”. Show them your license, leave with firearm.

I would probably walk out of the sore and leave my purchase there if they were checking my license and calling the cfo to let them know what I was buying. Any time I’ve purchased from cabelas it’s been a pretty easy process. Clerk asked to see my pal before purchase and again one more time as they handed the firearm to me before I walked out the door.

Unless I missed something in the turds new bs gun law crap.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I had not heard this before so went to check online where there is nothing making this written in stone so I called and they told me 100 % true, that since they have not rewritten the laws to accommodate purchasing online, that you can not even grouse hunt without all your tags in your possession, even if it takes a month to get them. She did tell me they are pushing to get these rules changed to meet the new modern way to buy tags and the CO's are pushing for it too, but no idea when they will get around to changing things. She said the best way it to write a email to them complaining about this ruling , that address is fishandwildlife@gov.bc.ca and let them know of our concerns. If they are going to offer an online service, they better step up the ruling also. Let them know and thanks for bringing this to our attention Caddisguy

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    So I found this out a few years back...

What happens, is the moment your new license has been issued and from that time until you receive it in the mail, your old license (even if not expired) is "invalidated"

Technically, every time you renew, there is a period of time you are in possession of firearms without a valid license.

The CFO stance is "You shouldn't run into any issues as long as you keep them in storage until you receive your new license"

Anyway, that is the CFO stance and interpretations of the law. I am sure if / how the grace period laws apply (ie: if they are specific to expiration or if that includes the period the old license is invalidated when the new one has been issued before you have it) It was particularly inconvenient for me, because in one case, they issued my new license (making the one I possessed invalid) but it took several weeks to receive it in the mail because one of their license printers was broken, causing a huge backlog. Was told I am technically in possession of firearms without a license, so do not use or transport them. Keep them in storage and I "should" be okay, that I would be in trouble if I encountered a police officer. When I asked "well what if I needed to call the police to my home. Could I be charged for possessing firearms without a license" and the answer was "technically yes".

I am frustrated with how all these laws were written, the lack of foresight and the subsequent interpretations that appear to opportunistic and intentionally cause inconvenience and threat of punishment.

Another one is with ordering tags online now. The Wildlife Act states that you must have all tags that have been issued to you in your possession while hunting any species. Last year I found out that the second you order a tag online, it has been "Issued" to you and you are not allowed to hunt ANY species until you have that tag. The ministry confirmed that is their stance, that if I order a cougar tag in October for a winter pred hunt in January, I cannot hunt deer or grouse until I have possession of the cougar tag that I ordered.

I doubt anyone has been charged for any of these scenarios, but one has to be slightly annoyed with a system that forces firearm owners into a legal quagmire as standard procedure with no way around it.

Anyway, rant aside, this is why your gun purchase did not go through. It will once you get that new one in the mail. If you check online it will show that it is issued. Just need to wait for them to print it and get it out to you in the mail.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Extremely good info guys

thank you for your input

i got ahold of a clerk and am currently waiting for my file to be viewed for renewal…

in limbo as it were

i can legally possess and hunt with a firearm, i cant buy new right now

and as far as them running my pal

canadian tire is doing it, so is basspro/cabelas

Quote Originally Posted by RadHimself View Post
    Extremely good info guys

thank you for your input

i got ahold of a clerk and am currently waiting for my file to be viewed for renewal…

in limbo as it were

i can legally possess and hunt with a firearm, i cant buy new right now

and as far as them running my pal

canadian tire is doing it, so is basspro/cabelas
    Where do you live? Maybe somebody here can help you out? As far as I know, I only need to see a valid pal to sell you a “used” firearm. The limbo thing shouldn’t apply.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    I had not heard this before so went to check online where there is nothing making this written in stone so I called and they told me 100 % true, that since they have not rewritten the laws to accommodate purchasing online, that you can not even grouse hunt without all your tags in your possession, even if it takes a month to get them. She did tell me they are pushing to get these rules changed to meet the new modern way to buy tags and the CO's are pushing for it too, but no idea when they will get around to changing things. She said the best way it to write a email to them complaining about this ruling , that address is fishandwildlife@gov.bc.ca and let them know of our concerns. If they are going to offer an online service, they better step up the ruling also. Let them know and thanks for bringing this to our attention Caddisguy
    I haven’t bought tags in bc since the system came out, or at least I would’ve been out of province so it was different for me, but in Alberta you can pick up as many tags as you want from several places, or order them online. When you purchase the specific species license online you just punch in the tag serial number and write the species on your tag. I keep a dozen tags or more in my cupboard.