Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intruiging encounter lastnight

Re: Intruiging encounter lastnight

Sounds like it could have been a bear.

I had a similar encounter this past August while camping up N/W of Williams Lake. First night in the tent I heard heavy footsteps outside around 2AM. Next night it was heavy footsteps and breathing around 130AM. The final night it was heavy footsteps, breathing and whatever it was put its nose into my tent right by my head. I stayed still and it casually walked off. I never did get out to see what it was and there weren't any visible tracks in the thick dead grass. I suspect it may have been a moose.

I think next time I will be setting up a trail camera just so I can see who is visiting during the night. I too am a light sleeper when in the bush, for some reason I am always listening.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

During bow season I was sleeping under my tarp in a band of scrubby trees in the sub alpine. Woke up in the middle of the night to huffing and puffing and crashing noises. Figure momma and the cubs were cutting through the trees and she was yelling at them to get the hell away. I sat up all groggy and said "go away pleaae" and fell back asleep. Next morning I gave it a little thought and realized that may not have been the best possible course of action.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    During bow season I was sleeping under my tarp in a band of scrubby trees in the sub alpine. Woke up in the middle of the night to huffing and puffing and crashing noises. Figure momma and the cubs were cutting through the trees and she was yelling at them to get the hell away. I sat up all groggy and said "go away pleaae" and fell back asleep. Next morning I gave it a little thought and realized that may not have been the best possible course of action.
    Atleast you were polite
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Sounds like it could have been a bear.

I had a similar encounter this past August while camping up N/W of Williams Lake. First night in the tent I heard heavy footsteps outside around 2AM. Next night it was heavy footsteps and breathing around 130AM. The final night it was heavy footsteps, breathing and whatever it was put its nose into my tent right by my head. I stayed still and it casually walked off. I never did get out to see what it was and there weren't any visible tracks in the thick dead grass. I suspect it may have been a moose.

I think next time I will be setting up a trail camera just so I can see who is visiting during the night. I too am a light sleeper when in the bush, for some reason I am always listening.
    I think you had an encounter with a "Protector".
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I have a couple of questions for the guys who have had encounters. I’ve probably had similar things happen, but just slept through it without even knowing. Now that I’m thinking about it, I was camped next to a solo girl last month and she woke up to something eating the shrubs around her tent. She figured it was an elk, but there was definitely a bear nearby. I was camped about 30 yards away and didn’t hear a thing. Lol

Do you guys camp in the same spot for several nights in a row? If so, do you keep a really clean camp? Like cooking somewhere else and storing your food in a tree away from your tent?

I have a strict policy of no food in the tent unless t he situation is dire. I tend to pay attention when I’m walking near where I plan on camping for bear scat or tracks. If I see either I usually try and hike somewhere else if I have time. I also hang my food in a tree a ways away. I figure if an animal eats my food it isn’t the end of the world.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Food was in truck, had sandwichs, a bag of oatmeal and a bag of red beans and rice, sealed ziploc bags, cooking was done on a grill on the fire (heated up my bunwichs before consumption) i didnt eat any oatmeal, and i cooked a small potbof rice on my mini burner in a mini pot that i clean immediately after and returned to my pack, which is simply a cabelas external frame, meatshelf hauler which i strap a camelbac 1.5L bladder and a 30L roll top stuff sack full of my rain gear, puffy vest, toque, spare socks/gloves and kill kit onto…

i left out my pack, whicg was laid on my quadseat incase it snowed and a magnetic base snap-on mechanics flashlight as well as a snap-on butane torch, whicg i bring everywhere i go because that thing makes even wet cedar burn when i need it to
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

Oh, was that you at Syringa last week?? Sorry, lol. Maybe it was turkeys?

Quote Originally Posted by RadHimself View Post
    Ground was hard, not much for sign other then a scratch mark about 6” long didnt analyze the whole area just my campsite, got up at daylight lit a fire & walked the beach, all kind of varied sign out there

i DID have my rifle but seeing as how it was just snapping and not pokin around wasnt much point, it was right outside my tent pitch black… start wildly shooting? Hit my truck or quad… no thanks, no paw marks on my truck, quad or table which usually bears are crawlin all over sniffin around

Dead silent too, other then the jaw snaps

Maybe it was angry locals tryin to scare me
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Not that far south
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I think you had an encounter with a "Protector".
    Hahahaha could be could be
    WSSBC
    CCFR