Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intruiging encounter lastnight

Lightbulb Intruiging encounter lastnight

Long story short, was out in the west koots hunting

setup camp on the east shore of aarow lake at a provincial campground, took off for the day came back shortly before dark, built a fire, heated up a sandwich and some rice, crawled into my tent, laid in bed and read for awhile, lights out. Hear the odd animal in the brush and out on the sand (i never fully pass out when camping, extremely light sleeper in the bush) nothing crazy.

get up the next morning, relight fire, warm up, get dressed and bail out on the quad, returning shortly after dark (7pm ish)

light a fire, heat and eat a sandwich, crawl into tent, colder night (wensday night) so stoked fire (large rock wall up against a concrete lock block, no chance of it going anywhere) id picked up 3 birch logs on the way down, all 3 were soaking wet, layed them across the coals, by the time id gotten comfortable and laying down, fire was barely visible through my tent wall and audibly popping less. It started to rain, this carried on for approx. half hour or so it started to die off, the odd tap on my tent fly from the drops. I heard a rustle in the brush about 30’ or so away, then the “ping” of something tapping my atv ramps on my tailgate (truck was parked infront of my tent, approx 5’ away from me, above my head) hearing the ping, i decided to roll on my side to make a bit of noise… instantly SNAP! Right above my head… instant adrenalin rush, pulse pounding in my ears… didnt move, heard a slight tap of a sumthing to my front (quad was parked next to picnic table about 3’ away in that direction) another SNAP right infront of me, then a few minutes after that another SNAP below me (fire pit and concrete barricade about 4’ in that direction) this in about a 30 minute time span, i hear the odd twig snap, no animal noises, just the incredible unspoken voice saying “dont f^c&ing move” in my head… my arm is going numb and its been awhile, no noise, so i decide to roll back on my back… instantly SNAP by my feet and this time i hear water hit the tent fly (spit?) then back to the odd twig snap, check my phone its 12:32… i adjust my head, an animal runs from what sounds like behind my quad, rubs against the tent on the way by and off into the brush… i dont think it was the same animal doing the snapping… size wise sounded like a coyote

im assuming this was a close encounter with a bear? Ive had them come in and investigate, but usually hear them sniffing and such

this guy was on me, came in against the wind, had the feelin if i made noise he was gonna jump the tent

scared the hell outta me lol

WHAT A RUSH!!!

thoughts?
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Intruiging encounter lastnight

Tracks will answer that question with no doubt

get a Packalarm
    forever noob

Sasquatch or mother-in-law
    Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

Half Moon - Could be a late season golfer whacking away in the rough?

Kid with a cap gun?

Not Grizz as I'm told their numbers are so far down they can't be found.

Not Bigfoot as they always screech at me and throw rocks.

So most likely the guys that do crop circles.
    Yes - aliens - looking for catalytic converters and heated recliner bucket seats.
    Their vessels are what we refer to as the Draconid meteor shower.
    Now that their light show is over (Oct. 9) some are working with Dave Paulides to add chapters to his Missing 411 series while the others create the aurora borealis northen lights (Oct.12).

I guess we'll find out in the morning if "RadHimself" fit their profile and has been taken and subjected to disco music for eternity.

It’s not a nice feeling knowing something is lurking out side your tent. I was on a boat in Roosevelt elk hunt last year and we were in a tent on a logging pullout and had a grizzly come by the tent the one night. Thought it was a deer till we heard it growl. Scariest thing I’ve experienced. Worst part was knowing we had to go out and shoo it away. So grabbed the rifles and out we went. But he has already booked it into the woods. Let off a couple of shotgun rounds and back to sleep. No more bear visits for us.

I had a Porky scare the crap out of us for a couple nights on one trip before we finally figured out what it was. Hard ground so no tracks. Amazing the amount of noise he made.

Next time turn on you truck alarm possibly, like when the horn goes off and lights go on? Scare the shit out of it possibly?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Ground was hard, not much for sign other then a scratch mark about 6” long didnt analyze the whole area just my campsite, got up at daylight lit a fire & walked the beach, all kind of varied sign out there

i DID have my rifle but seeing as how it was just snapping and not pokin around wasnt much point, it was right outside my tent pitch black… start wildly shooting? Hit my truck or quad… no thanks, no paw marks on my truck, quad or table which usually bears are crawlin all over sniffin around

Dead silent too, other then the jaw snaps

Maybe it was angry locals tryin to scare me
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

That’s spooky.

That’s why I always have a few drinks before bed and throw some ear plugs in. It’s none of my business what’s going on outside my tent while I sleep.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.