Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you been keeping the tail ?

Have you been keeping the tail ?

Notice a blurb in the Reg’s about keeping the tail of an animal or a large enough piece of skin with hair to clearly identify the species for moose and Elk.

Do you know if this is being asked for in the field by the CO’s

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Have you been keeping the tail ?

Yes, always keep a cuff of fur on each quarters

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I believe you had to have a 4" patch of hair so they can tell what species . IT would have to be on the carcass, or on one 1/4 if you cut it up, having it in hand will do no good .
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

You have to leave the unskinned tail on a deer.
    They finally figured out a bunch of mule deer does and fawns were going down the road during the antlerless whitetail season.

I think the hump on a moose would be enough identification to separate them from an elk, but I could see it for deer.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    Yes, always keep a cuff of fur on each quarters
    This is what we do. If boned out we leave a patch on one piece, the one with proof of sex if possible.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I think the hump on a moose would be enough identification to separate them from an elk, but I could see it for deer.
    There’s no hump once it’s in quarters.

(1) For caribou, elk or moose, the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2, AND (i) If the animal is male, a testicle or part of the penis ,(ii) If the animal is female, a portion of the udder or teats.
    (2) For deer, the unskinned tail, AND (i) If the animal is male, a testicle or part of the penis,(ii) If the animal is female, a portion of the udder and teats.
    (3) For bison, mountain goat or mountainsheep (i) If the animal is male, a testicle or part of the penis.(ii) If the animal is female, a portion of the udder or teats.

NOTE: To improve enforceability and simplify regulations, the option to use antlers to prove sex and species while transporting harvested wildlife is no longer available.
    Last edited by Hank Hunter; 10-14-2021 at 06:50 PM.

I usually keep the fur on the shank on each quarter, plenty of fur there to identify, do that with any animal I shoot. And of course the sex and yes tail for the deer!
    Shoot em' Whack em' Stack em'

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    This is what we do. If boned out we leave a patch on one piece, the one with proof of sex if possible.
    Same here..........