Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear encounter - Princeton area

Bear encounter - Princeton area

Had a successful hunt in the 8-6 region.

We were creeping into our evening spot around 530pm when a beautiful buck walked out about 60 yards in front of us. My friend took a very well placed shot and put him down quickly.

We decided to let him cool off in the snow and take the last 30 minutes to glass the surrounding area.

At approx 615pm my friend thought he heard some grunting.. sure enough a bear approx 150 yards away in some thick bush began smashing branches (very aggressively) and roaring several times at us. This continued for about 2-3 minutes while the bear was audibly getting more agitated with us.

I wasn't sure if the bear was potentially on its own deer as we saw 2 doe in that area.. or if he was aware of our deer about halfway between us.

We decided to drag the buck out of the bush half a mile to the truck and do the gutting there.

I've never experienced such aggressive behaviour from a black bear.. especially when we were so far apart. Have there been many reports of grizz in this area? Have you guys experienced a Blackie acting like this?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear encounter - Princeton area

No bear tag? No, I’ve never had a problem, but I usually have a tag.

Lucky bear. If that was me I’d have had a two for one.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I don’t hunt bears, but I always have a tag so I don’t have to explain myself.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Make sure MPotzhold (uncle Potzie) knows about this.

I'm with the previous posters-- if I carry a bear tag I never seem to have a problem.

Congrats on the buck!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    Lucky bear. If that was me I’d have had a two for one.
    This^^^^^^^^

May have just had a den site he was sitting on or prepping for the winter and didn’t care for the company. Once early Nov I snuck into an area and started rattling for mules. Unbeknownst to me a big ol griz was digging a den about 50yds away into the hill side below. He got pretty worked up at my rattling and let me know about it pretty quick….backtracked outta there and left him be.

In your case may have just been on a gut pile or kill like you say or maybe just wanted a free meal. If a gut pile or kill there likely would’ve been a few ravens or birds hanging around tho. Based on my experiences it sounds more like griz behaviour getting all agitated like that. Have never personally had a blacky get worked up like that.

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Make sure MPotzhold (uncle Potzie) knows about this.

I'm with the previous posters-- if I carry a bear tag I never seem to have a problem.

Congrats on the buck!
    Likewise!

Bear encounter-Aggressive bear!
    Blame it on hyperphagia- a period of excessive eating to fatten for hibernation.
    A bear's sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound's or 2,100 times better than a human's.

During hyperphagia, bears are like Olympic athletes in training. They must consume ten times as many calories as they need during the spring and summer if they're going to den up in tip-top shape.

When field dressing an animal one of us stands on guard & ready to protect against a charging bear.
    If we have to get our game meat the next day, the area is flagged & we approach it carefully & ready to shoot quickly if charged.
    Been lucky so far!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Interesting,
    I was up high on my own recently, shot a decent buck, too big for me to drag.Went back to truck, got my big pack,and dog.Went back, started quartering and skinning to pack out.My dog was beside me and I know him like he knows me….very well.He got up and was sniffing, barked, growled and moved about 30 yards into bush, were he barked again- his “mean” bark.I grabbed my rifle and walked around, but saw nothing and my dog stayed with me rest of time.
    I was close to done, so I just kept the rifle on my back and hurried up.This is the only time I have experienced this.
    It wasn’t until I sat in the truck and thought about it…that I felt I should have been scared.I guess the adrenaline was wearing off.

even small bears will act tough til they find out whether they are .....or not
    a big mature smart boar would likely display a whole lot closer
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole