Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Make Bear Ham: Wet Brine and Smoked on a Traeger

Re: How to Make Bear Ham: Wet Brine and Smoked on a Traeger

Sure, you can brine and smoke any piece of meat but it wouldn't have the preservative properties of a cured ham. Which if you're gonna eat it right away don't really matter. Prague powder or insta cure or curing salt is just salt mixed with sodium nitrate to prevent bacteria growth. It's the same thing that's in any cured sausage or pepperoni. Definitely not a necessity though if you can keep it refrigerated.

If you are processing and consuming right away, you can get away without. But if you are storing for any length of time, you run the risk of food poisoning.
    "Prague Powder #1, also referred to as Tinted Cure or Pink Curing Salt, is used for all types of meats, sausage, fish, and jerky curing. One of the most popular curing salts, Prague powder #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride as per FDA and USDA regulations. A critical component in the meat curing and sausage making process, Prague Powder #1 is essential to prevent food poisoning. Additionally, Prague Powder #1 provides a distinct flavor and helps to prevent product discoloration.
    Prague Powder #1 can be used in the preserving and curing of: Semi-dry and cooked meats, Sausage, Fish, Jerky, Bacon, Ham, Pastrami, Hard Salami, Corned Beef. To cure meat or fish correctly and within food safely guidelines, it is extremely important to use the proper amount of Prague Powder #1. As a curing agent, Prague Powder #1 serves to inhibit bacteria growth and helps to maintain meat flavor and appearance. Too much or too little Pink Curing Salt can adversely affect health, taste, and food quality."
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

In addition to the preserving properties the Prague Powder is what will give the ham that nice pink coloration that we all identify hams with. If you don't use it I think it will just look like a roast.

If you don't want to use Prague Powder you can use celery powder which has nitrites in it as well. It will do the same thing but will be a slightly more natural product. I've always used pink curing salt so I can't tell you what ratio of celery powder to use. A quick Google search on the subject will give you everything that you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasp View Post
    Sure, you can brine and smoke any piece of meat but it wouldn't have the preservative properties of a cured ham. Which if you're gonna eat it right away don't really matter. Prague powder or insta cure or curing salt is just salt mixed with sodium nitrate to prevent bacteria growth. It's the same thing that's in any cured sausage or pepperoni. Definitely not a necessity though if you can keep it refrigerated.
    I don't mind the salt, but it's the sodium nitrate part I don't like.
    If you always keep it refrigerated or freeze it sure should be ok.
    I have bought uncooked susages from the supermarket that has no preservatives, also bacon that's marked "no sodium nitrate"
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    If you are processing and consuming right away, you can get away without. But if you are storing for any length of time, you run the risk of food poisoning.
    "Prague Powder #1, also referred to as Tinted Cure or Pink Curing Salt, is used for all types of meats, sausage, fish, and jerky curing. One of the most popular curing salts, Prague powder #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride as per FDA and USDA regulations. A critical component in the meat curing and sausage making process, Prague Powder #1 is essential to prevent food poisoning. Additionally, Prague Powder #1 provides a distinct flavor and helps to prevent product discoloration.
    Prague Powder #1 can be used in the preserving and curing of: Semi-dry and cooked meats, Sausage, Fish, Jerky, Bacon, Ham, Pastrami, Hard Salami, Corned Beef. To cure meat or fish correctly and within food safely guidelines, it is extremely important to use the proper amount of Prague Powder #1. As a curing agent, Prague Powder #1 serves to inhibit bacteria growth and helps to maintain meat flavor and appearance. Too much or too little Pink Curing Salt can adversely affect health, taste, and food quality."
    My granpa was an old school butcher and he made the best sausages and hams, like a whole ham.
    I wish I knew how he did it, but I suspect there was no sodium nitrate used back then.
    Also he cold smoked everything after the brining for the ham and sausages straight to the smoker.
    He never used hot smoking and the ham looked deep red when you sliced it.
    Last edited by wildcatter; 10-13-2021 at 09:54 PM.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.

Quote Originally Posted by Breiber View Post
    In addition to the preserving properties the Prague Powder is what will give the ham that nice pink coloration that we all identify hams with. If you don't use it I think it will just look like a roast.

If you don't want to use Prague Powder you can use celery powder which has nitrites in it as well. It will do the same thing but will be a slightly more natural product. I've always used pink curing salt so I can't tell you what ratio of celery powder to use. A quick Google search on the subject will give you everything that you need to know.
    Thanks that's a good suggestion, I will check out how to use celery powder.
    WLM

Flush the Turd!