Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Make Bear Ham: Wet Brine and Smoked on a Traeger

How to Make Bear Ham: Wet Brine and Smoked on a Traeger

Let me know if you guys want to see more cooking content. I make a bunch of it but don't normally post it here. Figured I'd throw this one up and see if there was interest for more.

Well here's my first attempt at making bear hams. I've wanted to do this for years, ever since I started hunting. And I gotta say, they turned out pretty damn good. Would only tweak a couple small things next time. This was also the first time I got to use my new Traeger and that thing blew my mind.

https://youtu.be/38t3rAKvIyQ

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to Make Bear Ham: Wet Brine and Smoked on a Traeger

Great video. I'm going to have to try this now. Also want to try making bear bacon.

Quick question. I passed on a really nice bear a week ago because I didn't want to deal with that much meat on my own. I've still got some bear from this spring. If I see that old boy again - I might have to shoot him.

But, my question is - would you be able to do the ham after it's been frozen? I'm doing all this stuff on my own and it's a lot of work trying to process and then get working on a ham. It would be nice to throw the hams in the freezer and come back to them in a couple of weeks.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Grasp View Post
    Let me know if you guys want to see more cooking content. I make a bunch of it but don't normally post it here. Figured I'd throw this one up and see if there was interest for more.

Well here's my first attempt at making bear hams. I've wanted to do this for years, ever since I started hunting. And I gotta say, they turned out pretty damn good. Would only tweak a couple small things next time. This was also the first time I got to use my new Traeger and that thing blew my mind.

Thumbs up Re: How to Make Bear Ham: Wet Brine and Smoked on a Traeger

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    ... But, my question is - would you be able to do the ham after it's been frozen?
    Our local fellow (Pete's Mountain Meats) does such a great job on bear hams we simply don't bother with it ourselves any more. He insists the bear meat be frozen for 30 plus days before bringing it in for him to do his job. An outstanding job btw. So I'd say Go For It!

Interesting video Grasp! Rather like it!
    And Hell Yes to more cooking content!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 10-13-2021 at 05:14 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Once I had smoked bear ham made by a Swiss guy and it was as good as the best Parma prosciuto, but it was cold smoked.
    I'm going to build a smoke house next year and if I get a bear I try and smoke it, the whole ham, like a pork ham.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Well done Grasp (Mindful Hunter), well done.
    I have done a pork loin into a back bacon which turned out quite nice. I picked the brain of a butcher I know, old school, about the prague #1 powder and it's use for curing. About the only thing I remember him telling me the importance of getting the meat colour consistent throughout the cut of meat.
    You may be able to do the same with a bear loin too.
    I sourced prague #1 from Hoosier Hill Farm in Fort Wayne, Indiana. 1 lb will do 400 lbs of meat.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Great I ways wanted to make bear hams, this is a terrific inspiration. Looking forward to more videos.
    MM

Awesome vid, thanks for sharing and yes please more!

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. And yes to frozen. These roasts were actually frozen for almost a year and a half. They came out fantastic. And if anyone is looking for Prague Powder #1 I got mine at Stuffer's in Aldergrove. They ship online too. They are a great local business with everything you could want to process your meat.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. And yes to frozen. These roasts were actually frozen for almost a year and a half. They came out fantastic. And if anyone is looking for Prague Powder #1 I got mine at Stuffer's in Aldergrove. They ship online too. They are a great local business with everything you could want to process your meat.
    My question, do you absolutely need to use Prague powder?
    Would it be ok without it? I don't like any chemicals in my food.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕