Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Backpack

Hunting Backpack

Hi There

I am shopping around for a hunting backpack and have narrowed my choices down to the EXO Mtn Gear K3 4800 and the Stone Glacier Sky 5900. Both look like great packs and each one has some different features that separate them from one another. Just wondering who has experience with either pack and what pros and cons they have. Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Backpack

Stone Glacier offers a very nice quick release rifle carry that I can’t get on my Kuiu bags (they refuse to ship that component to Canada). SG is very nice, and light weight. No experience with the EXO
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

I'm running a SG 5900 now, and really like it. I've loaded it up well past 100# and it handled it as well as you could hope for. I've tried on the Exo K3 at a trade show, and honestly there wasn't anything I could find wrong - I just didn't need another pack system.

The biggest thing is going to be fit - I started out with a Kifaru Cavern/Duplex setup, and no matter how I tried I couldn't get it to fit me comfortably. I know that the pack is extremely well built and others rave about the comfort and capability, but it just wasn't for me. I'd try on as many different brands as you can before laying down the money. Any of these bags will hold their value on the resale market really well, but it's still a pain to have to sell something that doesn't work quite the way you'd like it to.

Have the EXO k2 2000, 5500 and K3 3200. Zero complaints with any. The customer service from EXO has been unmatched. Highly recommend.

I have an Exo k2 with all 3 bag sizes, its been a great pack over the last six seasons
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I use an Exo K3 6400. Great pack. Well built and very comfortable. I will say that even with an extra shim I still get some belt slipping with heavy weight (70lbs plus). I think its more of an issue of the belt material but it just takes a few extra adjustments when you hit the trail and your good.

Packed out two black bears so far no issues.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I have the Stone Glacier 6900 Sky Tallus and really like it.

What’s your build like? Exo and SG seem more likely to fit those on the slender side of things where as Kifaru seems to fit those of us that are thicker/some build up in the glute region.

Two great packs you are looking at. I run the 4800 and know guys that run the stone glaciers. The problem with packs is being able to try them out beforehand! The exo is pricier and will run ya about $1,300.00 delivered where the 5900 will be about $1,000.00

I ran a sky 5900 last year but couldnt get it to fit properly. They were a great company to deal with. I tried on a kifaru and they is no comparison. The kifaru is so much more comfortable. I purchased muskegg 7000 with the duplex lightweight frame. My hunting partner has a exo k2 and he want a kifaru now