Thread: youth hunter help with leh in 8-15

youth hunter help with leh in 8-15

my son drew a mule deer doe leh for oct 20-31 in 8-15. Looking for any advice to help him get his first deer we have been scouting and seen whitetail but not much mule deer. Any advice on spots would be great, he's super excited.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: youth hunter help with leh in 8-15

Hey there Dare.

Gilpin FSR just outside of Grand Forks at sun up would be a good place to start, drive up to just below the powerline, pick a ridge to hike on and sit and watch. You will see a ton of ATV/Pickup hunters but more often than not they will drive a few right into you. Later in the morning drive the same powerline (Dan O'rea FSR) west all the way back to GF and watch cut blocks along the way, counted 15 in one herd yesterday (No 4 point of course). (Also some great Cali Sheep watching the closer you get to GF on this road if Blue tongue hasn't decimated them all) Dress warm and expect a few flurries, morning temp -8C on the mountain this morning

Could also take a swing at Stewart Creek FSR just outside of Christina Lake heading North, there has been a bunch of wood harvested in there this summer so i was leaving it to the Trail boys to stomp around in but might be worth a look a little later in the season.

Good luck and good hunting to you and the little man
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Re: youth hunter help with leh in 8-15

Thanks that helps a lot