Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese Diesel Heater In a Wall Tent

Re: Chinese Diesel Heater In a Wall Tent

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I actually don’t mind sleeping in -20, I just don’t like getting out of bed and sliding -20 boots on my feet.
    This is exactly what I’d like to use this unit for. I’m thinking if I keep the heater inside and run the exhaust through a piece of A vent it should be ok. Not using the vent as a flue but as a sleeve to keep the hot exhaust pipe from burning the canvas or starting a ground fire. I’m sure it would be safer to keep it outside and plumb the heat in but I’m sure it would be warmer if it was all inside. The exhaust gets very hot very quickly, I learned this when it melted a hole through my camp table within a minute. Oops.

Brad

I use the Chinese diesel air heater because I heat my tipi, pop tent, rooftop tent, canopy, ice shack all with the same heater. If I was just heating a wall tent I would look at the trekker or expedition diesel stoves. Then you don’t have to mess with power.

As far as setting up the Chinese air heater inside the tent, my only two concerns would be condensation and exhaust leaks. You need to angle the exhaust down and away from the heater and get it far enough away that it doesn’t leak back inside. You might want to run fresh air in from outside if your trying to dry out gear and keep condensation down.

Quote Originally Posted by RJHunter View Post
    I use the Chinese diesel air heater because I heat my tipi, pop tent, rooftop tent, canopy, ice shack all with the same heater. If I was just heating a wall tent I would look at the trekker or expedition diesel stoves. Then you don’t have to mess with power.

As far as setting up the Chinese air heater inside the tent, my only two concerns would be condensation and exhaust leaks. You need to angle the exhaust down and away from the heater and get it far enough away that it doesn’t leak back inside. You might want to run fresh air in from outside if your trying to dry out gear and keep condensation down.
    Thanks RJ. That is my plan for the heater as well, wall tent, pup tent, garage, canopy, ice hut maybe one day.

It sounds like leaving it outside is the smartest thing to do so I’ll start looking at what kind of enclosure I can make for it.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    I run a diesel Trekker that I bought from Deluxe Wall tents. Not sure how the Chinese models compare to it but I sure wish I went to diesel heat years ago. No smell and no external power needed. Just light it and away you go. No more getting up in the middle of the night and no more cutting firewood. It’s freakin’ awesome!
    How big is your wall tent?

anyone use a huge pot of water on the woodstove to help as a heat sink and keep hot water on hand?