Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Why such a need to kill animals.

Re: Why such a need to kill animals.

Interesting that there are 7 pages of hunters judging hunters to this vacuous thread yet only one facile response to a junior member post re looking for a hunter mentor or partner.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    Interesting that there are 7 pages of hunters judging hunters to this vacuous thread yet only one facile response to a junior member post re looking for a hunter mentor or partner.
    Your right.
    I can see a sheep hunt being hard for someone with little to no experience but wants to get out there and "learn" what to look
    for and what is legal (same for goat).
    Problem is, i dont think there are many that want to take someone up to their honey hole.
    And quite possibly the rookie might have a spot picked that the mentor knows is a waste of time, so why go.
    I think there are plenty of videos by the WSS and others on what to look for etc, so that people dont take undersized or wrong
    gender game.
    But in the end, if you are looking at something, and are questioning it, and trying to convince yourself it is "probably legal",
    then its probably best not to shoot.
    You need to be 100% certain.
    And yes, those with experience are able to take game just "inside the wire".
    I just cant consider shooting something, and the whole time walking up to the kill "hoping" i was right.
    I want to walk up and enjoy the moment.
    Not worry about a game check and what the CO thinks.
    Thats about as much mentoring as i can give on the subject.
    Otherwise hire a guide i suppose??

QUOTE=nelsonob1;2292930]Interesting that there are 7 pages of hunters judging hunters to this vacuous thread yet only one facile response to a junior member post re looking for a hunter mentor or partner.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Your right.
    I can see a sheep hunt being hard for someone with little to no experience but wants to get out there and "learn" what to look
    for and what is legal (same for goat).
    Problem is, i dont think there are many that want to take someone up to their honey hole.
    And quite possibly the rookie might have a spot picked that the mentor knows is a waste of time, so why go.
    I think there are plenty of videos by the WSS and others on what to look for etc, so that people dont take undersized or wrong
    gender game.
    But in the end, if you are looking at something, and are questioning it, and trying to convince yourself it is "probably legal",
    then its probably best not to shoot.
    You need to be 100% certain.
    And yes, those with experience are able to take game just "inside the wire".
    I just cant consider shooting something, and the whole time walking up to the kill "hoping" i was right.
    I want to walk up and enjoy the moment.
    Not worry about a game check and what the CO thinks.
    Thats about as much mentoring as i can give on the subject.
    Otherwise hire a guide i suppose??
    Or, it might be that a lot of experienced hunters already have lots of people in their lives that need or want mentoring. Sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, grandkids, friends, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    QUOTE=nelsonob1;2292930]Interesting that there are 7 pages of hunters judging hunters to this vacuous thread yet only one facile response to a junior member post re looking for a hunter mentor or partner.
    True.
    Its hard to find the time it seems.
    Certainly for me and my friends these days.

My thoughts on this are simple.
    If the animal, say the tine "borders" on being illegal, I just don't shoot it, even if it were borderline legal.
    I just don't.
    I will wait for a time when it is "certainly legal".
    That's the simplest way for me to explain it to anyone new.

Or, it might be that a lot of experienced hunters already have lots of people in their lives that need or want mentoring. Sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, grandkids, friends, etc.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    QUOTE=nelsonob1;2292930]Interesting that there are 7 pages of hunters judging hunters to this vacuous thread yet only one facile response to a junior member post re looking for a hunter mentor or partner.

Or, it might be that a lot of experienced hunters already have lots of people in their lives that need or want mentoring. Sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, grandkids, friends, etc.[/QUOTE]

True. Its hard to generalize from personal experience but i know a few younger and those new to hunting get disillusioned from the lack of results. Consider elk hunting. If someone doesnt show you the basics you have little or no chance at a legal bull. Like trying to fly a plane by watching videos.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    Or, it might be that a lot of experienced hunters already have lots of people in their lives that need or want mentoring. Sons, daughters, nephews, nieces, grandkids, friends, etc.
    True. Its hard to generalize from personal experience but i know a few younger and those new to hunting get disillusioned from the lack of results. Consider elk hunting. If someone doesnt show you the basics you have little or no chance at a legal bull. Like trying to fly a plane by watching videos.[/QUOTE]
    I’ve had two new hunters and their kids(plus my kids) with me for the last two years. I’d happily take on more if they were near me and we got along.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

and it continues

I don't kill that many, that's my answer. I would've if I could've and I'm not picky either. I'm enthusiastic, just not that good at it. Until this year I hadn't shot a deer since 2018 and last shot a bear in 2019.

i believe the OP is referring to the urgency that some hunters feel to pull the trigger without first identifying that their quarry is legal.
    social media plays an enormous part, in that hunters who are using social media are continually and constantly inundated with hundreds of thousands of ‘trophy pics’ and tales/pics of successful hunts. an individual can begin to feel an increasing amount of pressure to make a kill. i can attest to this personally, and i make it a point to remove apps like facebook and instagram from my device for months at a time. This helps me to concentrate and focus on my own ambitions, plans, friends and family, and to not get caught up in other’s successes or lack of my own.
    remember, COMPARISON IS THE THIEF OF JOY.
    i like to focus on lots of different aspects of the hunt. the who, what, where, when and how. the silence, the friendships, the laughs, the sunsets and sunrises, the fleeting glimpses of wildlife, the opportunity, the persistence, and of course the ultimate prize of a successful harvest. the latter being just an aspect of the hunt, not the sole focus.
    although some may disagree, kudos to the individuals who self report. while many may be plain negligence, i’m sure there are truly some honest mistakes within the reported incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    True.
    Its hard to find the time it seems.
    Certainly for me and my friends these days.

My thoughts on this are simple.
    If the animal, say the tine "borders" on being illegal, I just don't shoot it, even if it were borderline legal.
    I just don't.
    I will wait for a time when it is "certainly legal".
    That's the simplest way for me to explain it to anyone new.

[/QUOTE]

this is wonderful advice for both new and experienced hunters. if it’s on the cusp of being legal or illegal, let it walk. save your bullets/arrows/bolts for animals that are obviously legal.