Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why such a need to kill animals.

Re: Why such a need to kill animals.

To answer the original question of why? I have forward facing eyes and canine teeth. I guess that makes me a predator with an instinctual drive.

Rather a weird question of the OP on a hunting site, then too state they then harvested a small Caribou.

If it's legal, it's Lawful. We as hunters don't set the seasons. Game managers do. If it's legal it's legal. We count on others to make seasons, for sustainability and conservation. If you want to shoot WT Does in antlerless season, and it's legal go for it. Same for a squeaky 5 pt. Bull Caribou that meets the requirements, it's your call. And if legal, don't feel bad about your decision, use and enjoy the animal, the hunt, the experience.

Don't be intimidated by the elitist know it all types that chastise anyone for taking what is a Legal Harvest.

If it's NOT LEGAL don't shoot. And if you do and its deemed to not meet legal requirements, than throw the dam book at the fool that couldn't hold out, if in doubt don't shoot! Make examples and advertise the fact of charges and penalties. Before long, the trigger happy , so called entitled hunter type will learn there are HUGE CONSEQUENCES for not being absolutely positive of correctly identifying LEGAL REQUIREMENTS.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    Rather a weird question of the OP on a hunting site, then too state they then harvested a small Caribou.

If it's legal, it's Lawful. We as hunters don't set the seasons. Game managers do. If it's legal it's legal. We count on others to make seasons, for sustainability and conservation. If you want to shoot WT Does in antlerless season, and it's legal go for it. Same for a squeaky 5 pt. Bull Caribou that meets the requirements, it's your call. And if legal, don't feel bad about your decision, use and enjoy the animal, the hunt, the experience.

Don't be intimidated by the elitist know it all types that chastise anyone for taking what is a Legal Harvest.

If it's NOT LEGAL don't shoot. And if you do and its deemed to not meet legal requirements, than throw the dam book at the fool that couldn't hold out, if in doubt don't shoot! Make examples and advertise the fact of charges and penalties. Before long, the trigger happy , so called entitled hunter type will learn there are HUGE CONSEQUENCES for not being absolutely positive of correctly identifying LEGAL REQUIREMENTS.
    Not sure what your saying , i never harvested a caribou, if your talking about me.
    The actions of hunters have an impact on why there is seasons etc and why there changed by those with the power to do so.

And it just keeps going on, how is a mule deer supossed to get to be a legal 4 point when shot as a 3 point, do people just not care to count points, or what does private property no trespassing mean.
    Is it just meat hunters are people starving that bad.

I am inclined to post less and seldom post pictures anymore.
    But, really tired of meeting inexperienced hunters in the field and seeing what they think is
    ethical,hunting practices.
    More experience and mentoring is a must.
    I enjoy taking new hunters out with our group and teaching them as much as they can absorb from us.
    Our oldest member is 90 and can still get out and enjoy hunting(he no longer packs animals out ).
    The wisdom from decades of ethical hunting that can be shared with new hunters is one of the most important
    parts of new hunting careers .
    To take an over simplified course to be legal and pushed out the door to figure it out on your own is definately
    not a good thing.
    Unfortunately not every new hunter has an experienced person to mentor them.
    I know it’s pie in the sky dreaming, just thankful I had good examples for me to follow 45 years ago
    when I started hunting!

Last season around Cache Creek several of us came across a dead MD4x3.
    What was also there was much of what was a 5x4 MD.
    (we know this because a few saw this individual with the buck in his box and right below in his campsite)
    From what it looks like, he shot the 4x3 (we heard those shots...many of us and all knew where it was coming from) first.
    Barely a 4x3.
    And then we figure he saw the 5x4 and instead wanted that one. (totally EGO there)
    And we heard those shots as well right afterwards and why we heard so many shots.
    Sad part was, we saw the camp, his wife, the buck, but no one went up there til the next morning and only then discovered the
    Dead 4x3 and basically a large amount of edible meat from the 5x4 still lying there.
    By then that fellow and wife and kids and his dog, were long gone.
    His Tracker he tried to drive up the hill as well!!!
    (which is also not allowed!)
    There are now 3 campsites with multiple hunters just waiting to have a chat with him this season.
    My group will be one of them, and we all know his name! (B.U.)
    Cant wait!!

I have come across a couple of dead MD Doe up there, and a couple of MD bucks (young ones with antlers sawed off, and not from
    the skull) over the past few years.
    They even cut the head off a MD Doe, and propped it up on top to make the deer look like it was bedded.
    Dont know why?
    IF it was my friends son coming in with vehicle after hearing the shots and wanting to see who got lucky and they got scared??
    (we heard the truck take off)
    Were they using it for bait for wolves???
    Who knows???
    Antlers being sawed off tells me someone wanted it for medicinal purposes or to sell antlers for dogs.
    (they fetch good money now)

So, Money is one reason.
    But i think what you are talking about LBM is a bunch of characters that like to think they are "big time hunters".
    Guys with no respect for the wildlife, no respect for the lifestyle etc.
    ITs all about them, and only them.
    And yes, they will take away opportunity from everyone else.
    Especially when we are talking sheep and goat.

I would really like to see folks who do this shit lose their guns, trucks, campers and trailers.
    Anything and everything they had on them during the offence if caught!

If you make a mistake and self report it, then fine, stuff happens.
    Too many times and you are "out"!
    But much of the times it is "full on intentional".
    These folks need to pay by losing everything.

Then you will see folks "smarten the F up" real quick!!
    And if we all want to keep on hunting "legally", we should be telling the government that those are the penalties we want to see
    happen in the future.

Lots of hunters out there doing just fine, enjoying the sport and camaraderie. Trying hard to follow the ever changing rules. Good on them and i hope they are having a great season, maybe even with a bit of killing involved.

Maybe we could have a separate forum for elite hunters. It could be at the top of the forum list so we can all look up to them, and they down at the rabble below.

there are plenty of hunters following the rules.
    But, as the OP sated, there has been a significant amount of game taken, ie: sheep that were not legal.
    And there is enough bs still out therein the field.
    I come across it every year.

So, the question is why are some so quick to pull the trigger and others compelled to go a break the code of ethics?

I look at it as this.
    There are 2 groups of people in this world.
    You lose your wallet (fell out of your pocket or you left it on the seat/table)
    Someone finds it.
    Either they get in touch with you or give it to the proper authorities to get it back to you.
    The other will stick it in their pocket, go thru it when convenient and take what they want and throw the rest of it in the garbage.

IF you make a mistake, self report it and learn and the CO's should go light on that person.
    Do it too often, then maybe you shouldn't be hunting (I would feel safer too!).
    But those that do lose their wits or are truly unethical, should lose everything associated with their hunts if caught and
    prosecuted.

Pretty black and white for me.
    No elitisms here, imo.

Couple weeks ago there was 2 5pt elk and a griz sow found dead north of elkford. Bulls were close to each other and 200meters off the fsr. I’m honestly more pissed about the elk than the griz.

According to the local CO’s, this is the worst yr for 5pts that they’ve seen in the last 10yrs.
    For some people, successfully filling a tag is more important than ethics and following the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post

I agree with you. There’s a real trend on this site of hunters wanting to judge other hunters even when they are legally following regulations.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 10-23-2021 at 03:32 PM.