Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why such a need to kill animals.

Re: Why such a need to kill animals.

My first response was try eating them without killing them. But you raise an interesting question. A bit poorly phrased one.

Having power of life and death, maybe.

Social Media has a big play in hunting now
    Peer Pressure - pressure to kill something from friends, family, social media, other hunters
    Elitist - Sheep hunters are some of the worst, almost like fly fisherman in their elites mentality. Not all, but there is some out there that have a different mentality when it comes to sheep. I have met a few that acted like they had killed the holly grail; not knowing that people have been killing sheep before their mommas lost their virginity. It's funny that I have not met any goat killers that think the same way. Yet I think Goats are the ultimate animal to hunt and to kill a 10"+ billy is damn hard!!
    The "I spent all this money to come up here, I am going home with something" thought process. Who ever thinks that spending money justifies having to kill something is missing a lot of reasons why they are hunting.

I am sure there are many more, but killing undersize animals is a choice that a hunter makes when they squeeze the trigger. No excuses, no rational reason.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Their wife is an accountant!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    I think a lot of this comes down to ego. Guys go out hunting and possibly spend a lot of money getting there. They have to come home with something to justify the expense. They also want to be included in the group of hunters who are successful. I can see hunting for meat, but at the end of the day, if you don't harvest anything you are surely not going to starve. Another angle that might apply here is work ethic. I have heard lots of guys state they only hunt for meat and will shoot anything that is legal that crosses their path. So they go out and shoot the first spike or fork they see. Then one day a five point steps out in front of them. They harvest that animal and proceed to brag about it like they had targeted that particular animal, instead of it actually being a lucky opportunity. So why did they not pass that animal up as their just hunting for meat. Why shoot a potential trophy animal when you just want meat? I have seen many hunters over the years who shoot the first thing they see and then complain or make the statement to selective hunters about how lucky they are shooting bigger bucks. It never dawns on these guys that hunting an older mature animal takes a lot more effort , skill and a certain degree of luck. Mature animals don't get to where they are by being stupid. They are very cautious and calculating. They have lots of experience avoiding predators whether human of animal. There are hunters out there who will never have the skill sets or ability to hunt mature game animals. I very much enjoy hunting, and have come home many times with out game, but a great experience. Putting the effort in to harvest mature game animals teaches you a lot about yourself, and helps you hone your skills. Not for everyone though.
    Well stated. I have hunted with people that are all about bagging something to boost their egos. Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Why is there such a need to kill animals by so many hunters. Looking at the confiscated sheep thread and amount it happens with them.
    There is still a bit more of a season so sure more under size rams will be taken with the panic of it shutting down.
    Now the illegal elk deer, moose and other animal numbers are starting to add up. Maybe things are different now days, was always
    taught to identify your target, but seems now its shoot first check later with so many. Elk arent going to ever be a legal 6 point
    when there shot when only a 4 point.
    There is no such need to kill these animals by hunters. Start calling these sacks by what they are...poachers.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

i
    for me it’s above pic I kill animals cause they are made of meat.
    that said I’ve hunted with fellers who get pissy if nothing is harvested. I don’t hunt with people like that anymore at all costs . Simply go buy a side of beef if that’s your end game. I’m there for me time mental clarity ect . Meat is a delicious bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I’m not as successful at hunting as I would like to be . This is my own fault, as I don’t get out that often and still have lots to learn, but geeez would I just shoot at an animal just to kill it , NO ! I don’t get a high five scream out loud elation from killing an animal ,I get the elation from a combination of feelings when I know the animal is down and the work / study , research has paid off and of course the good luck .
    I don’t have time for over inflated egos in people whatever the situation ! Life’s to short for that B.S been around that and don’t miss it at ALL !
    Arctic Lake
    Amen brother! I’ve got a coffee mug slowly filing with uncut tags that is a symbol of two things: not getting out enough, and not wanting to just shoot “anything, in any situation” just to cut a tag.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Quit simple really why such a need by so many hunters to kill something.
    Why are short underage sheep shot, why are elk in a 6 point area being shot when they are under that size
    why are mule deer being shot as whitetails or vs versa why in a 4 point mule deer area are bucks being shot
    under that size, why are moose over the 2 point size limit being shot in the GOs
    Why is a person on a quad being shot in a moose season , why is person being shot well bugling. Why does someone
    cross a fence onto posted land to shoot something.
    Want me to give more reasons or do you understand the question now, Why such a need by so many hunters to kill something.
    Each point can be explained away somehow, either mistakes in counting tines or judgement length, or mistakes in identification,
    I don't think someone turning in a short sheep for CI has bad intentions

Things like jumping fences or shooting beef have more purpose, more intent, and point to a general disregard for others property, goes with the theft from camps , trucks, boats etc
    There is also likely a small portion that just want to blast something, anything, to experience the kill, the bullets effect, the blood, can just hope it is short lived.

The point about what is appropriate for size/ age is purely judgemental, if the 'bou was legal I don't see the problem, we know the breeding is still getting done or there would be no leh opp.

To make a moral judgement of someone elses legal kill is also a problem
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    Social Media has a big play in hunting now
    Peer Pressure - pressure to kill something from friends, family, social media, other hunters
    Elitist - Sheep hunters are some of the worst, almost like fly fisherman in their elites mentality. Not all, but there is some out there that have a different mentality when it comes to sheep. I have met a few that acted like they had killed the holly grail; not knowing that people have been killing sheep before their mommas lost their virginity. It's funny that I have not met any goat killers that think the same way. Yet I think Goats are the ultimate animal to hunt and to kill a 10"+ billy is damn hard!!
    The "I spent all this money to come up here, I am going home with something" thought process. Who ever thinks that spending money justifies having to kill something is missing a lot of reasons why they are hunting.

I am sure there are many more, but killing undersize animals is a choice that a hunter makes when they squeeze the trigger. No excuses, no rational reason.

Cheers

SS
    Particularly the spey fishermen of fly fishing. In my opinion, they are the worst.

And yes, agreed that it is pressure, mainly social media. All my buddies are posting dead animals. I better make something happen too.

It's ridiculous and sad.

So is this thread about trophy hunting over meat hunting? Are meat hunters looked down on?