Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why such a need to kill animals.

Re: Why such a need to kill animals.

LBM’s got some valid questions.
    When some buy a tag they feel it has to be filled.
    That’s their choice…if it legal, fly at it.
    Just last night I visited with 2 hunters that spent a week hunting caribou in the only “any bull” LEH zone in BC.
    They saw 1 bull caribou….no others.
    He was a little guy and he got shot.
    My comment was “ at least he won’t have to spend a lonely winter”.
    Others, can pack a pocket full of tags and never squeeze the trigger.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    When it comes to the mistakes we’re seeing today, I believe a lot of it goes back to inexperience.
    Face it…..other than putting in the time and gaining experience or having a good mentor ….how does a rookie hunter learn.
    The CORE coarse is so basic a 10 year old can complete it….so is that really enough to turn a new hunter loose on?

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    we have no data on these illegal rams to be able to draw any conclusions.
    It’s coming………..

I’m not as successful at hunting as I would like to be . This is my own fault, as I don’t get out that often and still have lots to learn, but geeez would I just shoot at an animal just to kill it , NO ! I don’t get a high five scream out loud elation from killing an animal ,I get the elation from a combination of feelings when I know the animal is down and the work / study , research has paid off and of course the good luck .
    I don’t have time for over inflated egos in people whatever the situation ! Life’s to short for that B.S been around that and don’t miss it at ALL !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    we have no data on these illegal rams to be able to draw any conclusions.
    Another rumour is the amount of confiscated sheep is no more than other years...why would someone start a contradictory rumour?
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    LBM’s got some valid questions.
    When some buy a tag they feel it has to be filled.
    That’s their choice…if it legal, fly at it.
    Just last night I visited with 2 hunters that spent a week hunting caribou in the only “any bull” LEH zone in BC.
    They saw 1 bull caribou….no others.
    He was a little guy and he got shot.
    My comment was “ at least he won’t have to spend a lonely winter”.
    Others, can pack a pocket full of tags and never squeeze the trigger.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    When it comes to the mistakes we’re seeing today, I believe a lot of it goes back to inexperience.
    Face it…..other than putting in the time and gaining experience or having a good mentor ….how does a rookie hunter learn.
    The CORE coarse is so basic a 10 year old can complete it….so is that really enough to turn a new hunter loose on?
    Ya all the young people that I have asked that have takin the course were told the same thing they will all pass as long as they
    dont point the gun at the instructor.
    As for the caribou story i just dont understand the thinking on many people, so many say the ungulate numbers are down
    every where and blame every thing on predators. They will hunt for 2 weeks and only see one animal yet have to shoot it.
    Not to much in the way of conservation there, some times humans have to realize they are a big part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    Illegally shot game numbers are used by Biologists to detirmine seasons and limits. Relax and trust the science. Unless of course your an anti vaxxer.
    Well good then maybe we can get all sheep on leh and elk as well.

What would that do? Feed the wolves , and discourage hunters from hunting. Bingo!

Its too bad that a few hunters were not mentored early on, traditional ethics and bush craft .

LBM, please say a prayer for all the animals slaughtered on our roads each day while you are at it.
    Blacktailaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Islandeer View Post
    What would that do? Feed the wolves , and discourage hunters from hunting. Bingo!

Its too bad that a few hunters were not mentored early on, traditional ethics and bush craft .

LBM, please say a prayer for all the animals slaughtered on our roads each day while you are at it.
    You can add railways, predators and 'unregulated' hunting to the last sentence...
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 10-10-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Well good then maybe we can get all sheep on leh and elk as well.
    Your response is a very good idea. I have heard it before, and after some reflection and looking at the number of people now hunting sheep, I think it's time. You don't hear of to many 40" rams anymore. I lot of just legal ones. At least on LEH, you can regulate the hunting pressure and manage the opportunity so there are more quality Rams out there. You could also put a bite of a damper on those who think sheep hunting is some kind of extreme endurance sport, and put more emphasis on the quality of experience of being in high places and watching sheep behavior. That's a good teacher in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    Illegally shot game numbers are used by Biologists to detirmine seasons and limits. Relax and trust the science. Unless of course your an anti vaxxer.
    Lol make sure to post all your science in the covid thread, because the reality is, the anti vaxxers have been posting more science, that's why we don't believe the narrative..

Now to answer the OPs question:

Desperation for a 'successful' hunt I imagine is the primary reason, though I imagine honest mistakes are occasionally made, like for example, a tine isn't quite long enough therefor isn't legal, but for me, like it states in the regs, when in doubt don't shoot!