Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why such a need to kill animals.

Re: Why such a need to kill animals.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
    If you have hunted long enough you will understand how mistakes are made. The government has made us into point and size counters and inevitably, and for many reasons, mistakes are made. Simply report the error, pay the ticket and move on with a lesson learnt.

For those who prefer to stand in judgement, take up badminton, the game would better suit you.
    well said!!!

If you have hunted long enough you will understand how mistakes are made. The government has made us into point and size counters and inevitably, and for many reasons, mistakes are made. Simply report the error, pay the ticket and move on with a lesson learnt.

For those who prefer to stand in judgement, take up badminton, the game would better suit you.
    How long does one have to hunt, been hunting going on 50 years and the same for the people I hunt with, no one has shot a undersized animal.
    So its the governments fault that this happens. To bad something has to die to learn a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    How long does one have to hunt, been hunting going on 50 years and the same for the people I hunt with, no one has shot a undersized animal.
    So its the governments fault that this happens. To bad something has to die to learn a lesson.
    The ones you and your infallible company killed probably felt much better about dying. Apparently that comes with the points. Do you play badminton?

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Yes some good points, but when you say go by data, what data are you talking just harvest numbers.
    Have you stopped into any shops last few years and seen that number of rams.
    Not that it matters but been chasing sheep around since the late 70s and have seen quit a few changes.
    There is LEH talk going around but may be more focused on bighorns.
    I would be referring to harvest data, number counts, habitat condition, lamb survival, etc.
    Data that helps our biologists to figure out the health and sustainability of thinhorn populations.
    I haven’t stopped in any taxidermy shops for a long time. Ive been doing my own taxi work for probably 10 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    I would be referring to harvest data, number counts, habitat condition, lamb survival, etc.
    Data that helps our biologists to figure out the health and sustainability of thinhorn populations.
    I haven’t stopped in any taxidermy shops for a long time. Ive been doing my own taxi work for probably 10 years now.
    Yes all info can be of good use, you might notice a change if you did check out a few shops, but if a guy does good sheep
    he will quit often get more to do well others wont .

The ones you and your infallible company killed probably felt much better about dying. Apparently that comes with the points. Do you play badminton?
    Dead is dead only difference is some are legal to be taken and others are not. Did play badminton in high school for 1 year maybe it helped me learn how to count.

Apparently the need or urge is alive & well, quite a few illegal kills this season already. Sobering numbers. I know for myself, if any doubt exists, I pass. Self defence from a predator is another matter.

"This is one of the worst hunting seasons for five point elk being killed during a six point only season" - BC Conservation Officer Service

We are to understand that the East Kootenay zone of Region 4 in Southern BC has recorded 38 illegal bull elk shot by hunters to date. Based on past seasons, the last 10 days of the season produce 1 to 2 more illegal elk reports per day.
    Region 4 East Kootenay zone may close out the 2021 elk season with around 50 illegal bull elk found/reported.
    The million dollar questions....
    1) Why is this happening?
    2) What impacts will the illegal take have on elk and elk hunting opportunity?

https://www.peninsulanewsreview.com/...01laDNxn73yahY
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-14-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Apparently the need or urge is alive & well, quite a few illegal kills this season already. Sobering numbers. I know for myself, if any doubt exists, I pass. Self defence from a predator is another matter.

"This is one of the worst hunting seasons for five point elk being killed during a six point only season" - BC Conservation Officer Service

We are to understand that the East Kootenay zone of Region 4 in Southern BC has recorded 38 illegal bull elk shot by hunters to date. Based on past seasons, the last 10 days of the season produce 1 to 2 more illegal elk reports per day.
    Region 4 East Kootenay zone may close out the 2021 elk season with around 50 illegal bull elk found/reported.

Yes pretty sad the stuff that is going on out there, and the amount it is happening. With rifle moose opening tomorrow, and as mentioned elk getting close to closing Im sure there will be lots more happening.

because cannibalism is bad? Probably harder to find a butcher...People aren't tasty?do you want any other foolish reasons to go with your foolish question?

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post

Those are absolute numbers with no context, so it is hard to know whether one should be alarmed or not. Did the elk tags increase in the same period? By how much? Did the illegal harvest numbers decrease in other regions? By how much? What is the variance in previous years’ data?