Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It’s unlawful to : page 14, item 20

Re: It’s unlawful to : page 14, item 20

but does not include a boat powered manually nor a boat with an outboard motor provided the motor is tilted or otherwise disengaged so as not to be ready for immediate use.

Is it right to consider the tether cord/kill switch as an ignition switch on an outboard motor
    Tilting an outboard involves lots of motion and can drastically alter the drift characteristics of a boat
    Pulling the kill cord stops (disengages) the motor, similar to turning the ignition switch to 'off' and pulling the key in a jet or i/o boat
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post

Is it right to consider the tether cord/kill switch as an ignition switch on an outboard motor
    Tilting an outboard involves lots of motion and can drastically alter the drift characteristics of a boat
    Pulling the kill cord stops (disengages) the motor, similar to turning the ignition switch to 'off' and pulling the key in a jet or i/o boat
    Good question, is removing the safety tether cord considered "disengaged so as not to be ready for immediate use"?

My personal interpretation is yes.

But I would be clarifying with a CO or policy analyst as to what constitutes "disengaged and not ready for immediate use"
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-12-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Common sense statement -

There are thousands of waterfowl hunters out there that shoot from a boat by their decoys.
    Many get there under power.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Ron I think the recent Provincial law concerning shooting from a boat was geared towards gang violence and gang crime and was not geared to hunting . I think ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Graham,

I recommend you contact the CO service if you don't want opinions. If you send them an email, you will get a response from either a CO or a policy analyst. I'd take and retain copies of the repsonses and take it as gospel. You can also google the wildlife act and get more definitions, article #'s to reference. Responses like mine are my personal interpretation of the regulations as I read them ( my opinion ). Take it for what it is.

I can't see anywhere in the regs where it says you can't hunt from a boat. It does however say you can't hunt from a powered boat.

Power Boat - means a boat, canoe or yacht powered by electric, gasoline, oil, steam or other mechanical means, but does not include a boat powered manually nor a boat with an outboard motor provided the motor is tilted or otherwise disengaged so as not to be ready for immediate use.

(So a rowboat, aluminium, canoe, kayak, drift boat, raft basically any boat without an engine gas electric or other is not a power boat. Nor is any boat with an outboard if it meets the definition above.)

It's Unlawful to:

20. To shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor ( key word here is being propelled, and see definition of a power boat. This is the answer to your first question)

21. To hunt migratory birds from a powerboat, unless the boat is beached, resting at a launch or or fastened within or tied immediately along side a fixed hunting blind.

There was however a new BC firearms legislation tabled earlier this year that contradicts the wildlife act. But I will continue to follow the regulations as written in the wildlife act as they haven't been amended or changed.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I was told many decades ago by a co that you can hunt from a boat as long as the motor was not in working position, so I was told to tilt it up , so not operable under power, and if seen through Binos which you can tell by looking no chances of being under power
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Ron I think the recent Provincial law concerning shooting from a boat was geared towards gang violence and gang crime and was not geared to hunting . I think ?
    Arctic Lake
    Agree 100% but when this was discussed it doesn't clearly say that. The fact that the wildlife act hasn't been amended is all the justification I need.

At least the BC govt has found an effective way to deal with all those drive by canoe shootings.

25. To discharge, carry or have in possessiona firearm containing live ammunition inits breech or in its magazine attached tothe firearm, in or on a railway car, motorvehicle, sleigh, aircraft, bicycle or other conveyance.

I was thinking "or other conveyance" covered basically any mode of transportation.