Thread: newbie advice - marketing

newbie advice - marketing

Originally I was going to limit myself to directly hunting related topics. But I feel new hunters are particularly vulnerable to the preys of hunting marketing. Or should I say, the idea that you can buy hunting success. So I thought I would share my thoughts on the subject. For many hunters there is a large gap in their skills and their success in the field. This especially applies to new hunters. That gap is where the hunting marketing companies make their money. Hunters will come home from the field frustrated and defeated. I have been there so many times, swearing to give it all up and pursue something easier like nuclear physics... the sound of the blacktail's laughter still haunting me. But the very next night I would be pouring over hunting articles, analyzing maps, and figuring out what I could do differently. Basically itching to get back out in the field and get humiliated all over again. It is in that space that I was most vulnerable to the marketers who will swear that I needed product X to be successful. It is an illusion that a person can spend their way into being a good hunter. I will qualify everything I write here with my held fast opinion. The number one product you need to hunt effectively is skill and knowledge, which you can't buy as gizmos off of store shelves. You will earn your skills by having mentors that can teach you, by reading articles/books, and spending plenty of time in the field. I don't want to sound boastful, but every year now I cut my blacktail tags (knock on wood). I do it within 30 yards without practising scent control, without wearing camo, and without using any commercial products. All I buy at the beginning of the year is tags and ammo. I am not a master or an expert, I am a simple hunter that is happy to put meat in the freezer. Honestly, sometimes I can't tell you how I do it, its just about being in the right place at the right time. Experience, insight, instinct, and a bit of luck will put you in the right place. Spending a whole lot of time in the wrong place will help teach you where not to be. These are all very important lessons to learn. So next time you read an article about how need a scent blocked ghillie suit to effectively hunt deer, read it with a skeptical eye. Glean all the information you can from every source you can about the biology, habits, and habitats of the animals your are hunting. Then spend as much time as you can in the field. Hope it helps.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: newbie advice - marketing

most folks will benefit from reading your post. both new and experienced hunter types.

good thinking!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I had a friend that kept thinking he could buy exercise. He bought exercise machines, expensive bicycles, golf clubs, you name it, as well as a case of scotch a week and the only product he used was the scotch.

Well, he died.

Come on, you’re telling me I can fill tags without 10k in camo and another 10k in optics ? Shit my wife is going to be pissed !

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Come on, you’re telling me I can fill tags without 10k in camo and another 10k in optics ? Shit my wife is going to be pissed !
    What he said

Great points OP.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Great post Brian.

Newbies listen up.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Any activity is like that...if you want to be good at something nothing replaces time, work, effort... to fine tuning the art.
    It tell my kids this everyday, no short cuts in life.

Agree with the premise….heck, everyone used to hunt in humpfreys and plaid. What you can purchase is longevity in the bush. Good gear allows you to be more comfortable in uncomfortable circumstances, to go further for longer and safer. There’s a place for purchase based on quality, well over sneaky marketing and as mentioned, no substitute for experience.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Whatever do you mean??? I once bought a hoyte crx32 bow cause pig man had one and killed everything it looked at!! Mine is just as awesome !! Still have it. Then I bought a huskamaw blue diamond cause you can shoot far.. turns out I loved it from the get go and I can confidently shoot farther than before!! Ha but I used to buy a ton of crap tooo . Good post thanks for sharing it.
    Last edited by Blacktail1; 10-09-2021 at 07:37 PM.