Thread: Bow and arrow/crossbow use for hunting in Maple Ridge

Bow and arrow/crossbow use for hunting in Maple Ridge

Hi Guys,

Trying to figure it out if hunting with bow and arrow or crossbow is permitted within Maple Ridge City limits.
    Found by - law 4643 - 1992 regarding discharge of firearms but nothing on bow.
    Talked to the lady in by - law department and no help.
    Anyone in Maple Ridge that can help with this?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bow and arrow/crossbow use for hunting in Maple Ridge

I couldnt find anything specific when I looked and it seems as though theres no specification making it technically legal unless its hiding in a bylaw somewhere ... Now that being said ... Depends where you are .. North of dewdney and east of 240th you may find it alot less likely to hear about it .. Lol if you shoot a buck in the middle of rockridge or right off of old dewdney you may run into some issues with atleast having to justify it to the city folk but I scoured the bylaws and couldnt find boo about bows specifically Im fairly far out and with a proper backdrop and target me and my son enjoy shooting our trad bows regularly in the yard ... Cross bow just be mindfull of that beyond your target bit not sure about yours but mine will rip until it hits a damn hard target I cant really even use it on my foam as it burrys bolts and if you do miss the bounce off the backdrop is unpridictable af its real grey area I have several nice size bucks that wander through and my neighbours would say a thing if one expired in their yards .. Personally I leave em be so I can watch them but I havent seen either 4 pt since last winter ..mind you my new down the hill asshole neighbours shoot that shotgun off one more time and Ima wind up calling the cops for the first and last time ever .. Lol I settled on going out and letting loud doe bleets and turkey calls fly or playing couger noises every time they do it havnt heard one in a few months
    Last edited by 604Stalker; 10-07-2021 at 03:35 PM.

Hi 604,
    Thanks for your reply.

No problem! Im not an atourney I just play one on the phone but from what I have read and seen you should be okay Ide just communicate to the neighbour folks and see like I said.. Mine wouldnt care if a. Buck with a bolt jumped the fence and expired but the citys changing alot lol if I screwed up and trailed it a block or so then gutted it into the sub divisons sewer.. Im sure Ide be talking to the locals before you could say garrage door closer hahaha be respectful enjoy your hunt tbh CO service and bylaws said to call the rcmp... Just figured to let sleeping dogs lie and let all my neighbours know we were gonna target shoot bows ... They all were just happy to see a kid learning a healthey skill for the outdoors instead of smashing mailboxes or causing havoc at the gazibo

I know that it is stated in the bylaws for the district of North Vancouver.
    Bylaw 6761
    " Prohibition 3. Subject to section 4, no person shall use a bow or discharge a firearm within the municipality."

Kind of stupid. You can't even practice at home...

Lol I would never live in a city or town or and place for that matter that dosnt allow the discharge of a bow.

Can't shoot a bow in Poco ether

Reminder just because you saw a buck where you cant shoot a gun isnt a reason to start bowhunting wven with a crossbow practive tuning and distance jusdging is required.

Hi Walks,
    The reason I am asking is due to my health condition. I am not capable of long walks and hiking like I did before.
    And yes I am aware of chalanges regarding using bow instead of rifle.
    Thanks to all of you