Thread: Wildfire forest recovery

Wildfire forest recovery

I've looked around for information on the stages of forest fire forest recovery but haven't found much here in BC. Does anybody know about this, anecdotally or empirically?

I'm curious to learn about survival vs displacement rates of birds upland birds and game (big/small) and how they repopulate, plant and tree succession stages, etc. I've heard morel mushroom picking can be great following a fire.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wildfire forest recovery

googling "fire and successional changes in bc" got me lots of hits
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/en...-1398-4-pb.pdf

Intensity of the fire is an important consideration. Very low intensity fires, which only burn the surface fuels on the ground can be extremely productive for wildlife within several weeks. A very high intensity fire which absolutely nuked an area may take several years.

There is a comprehensive management plan for the M/K looking at burn responses by wildlife and looks forward with a burn recovery plan.....iirc

K. Sittler worked on a burn study too

also
    The Peace-Liard Prescribed Fire Program (P-LPFP) is a critical part of the landscape of northeast British
    Columbia. For decades, prescribed fire has been applied to the land to support wildlife and its habitat,
    to improve quantity, quality and access to forage for livestock, to reduce fuel load resulting from
    forestry activities, and in some cases to support cultural and traditional values. In 2017, the Fish and
    Wildlife Section of the BC Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations secured funding
    to critically review and reposition the prescribed fire program into a more contemporary version to
    reflect current scientific knowledge, incorporate Indigenous communities, stakeholders, industry and
    parties with a vested interest.
    Last edited by boxhitch; 10-13-2021 at 09:34 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

All great info! Thanks everyone. I watched that fly over video of the Tremont Lake fire. Some is scorched earth but there are lots of pockets of lighter burns. Fascinating how the fire can move through a region.