Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Superstitions

Hunting Superstitions

Hi all,

Thought this would be a fun topic to bring up. Who's got hunting superstitions and what are they? I'm not generally superstitious, but being only three years in to hunting and learning / going solo, I figure anything that might help is welcome. Plus it's fun to have little rituals.

I'm putting lots of hours on, but the success rate as been really low. when I get back to my truck and I feel like I should have seen more game but didn't, I now find myself taking the top round out of my magazine and replacing it with a new round at the top to be the first one down the pipe. Kind of like moving a new player to the top of the rotation I suppose.

who else has superstitions / habits out there?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Superstitions

I have a "lucky hat" I like to wear when I hunt....
    we never talk about success until it happens...no "over confidence" ahead of time allowed

My hunting partner of 40 years carries a 2x2 inch square of his "lucky hunting shirt" in his licence/tag pouch. The shirt wore out years ago, but the square seems to still work. I always take my lucky blue sweater along to camp although after 35 years it resides in my duffel bag as it is a tad tight. The only year I didn't take it was the first year in 35 years at our moose spot that we went home without a bull. Will never make that mistake again

I don't pack wild game in my lunch. Taking wild game into the field to get more wild game is greedy and the hunting gods look down on me for it.

Big Buck Dip, Copenhagen usage starts during fall hunting season. Put a big dip in to lure out the big bucks.

Blast some Steel Panther while spring bear hunting.

Do a verbal dating profile while reeling in trout.

I wear my dog tags when I am out hunting. Luck and a good body identifier if I croak. LOL
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Don’t pass up the first legal game animal you are hunting. It works for my brother.

I don't sharpen my knives the day before leaving.

maybe my bear pepperoni has been angering the hunting gods who are hiding all the bucks in october thus far.

Great call on Steel Panther.

re: fishing, my 4 year old daughter always has to yell "come ooooooon Tina! Come get your food".

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I don't pack wild game in my lunch. Taking wild game into the field to get more wild game is greedy and the hunting gods look down on me for it.

Big Buck Dip, Copenhagen usage starts during fall hunting season. Put a big dip in to lure out the big bucks.

Blast some Steel Panther while spring bear hunting.

Do a verbal dating profile while reeling in trout.

Arrow Re: Hunting Superstitions

Quote Originally Posted by Citori54 View Post
    My hunting partner of 40 years carries a 2x2 inch square of his "lucky hunting shirt" in his licence/tag pouch. The shirt wore out years ago, but the square seems to still work.
    Hmmm... May have to consider that option before too long...

From this thread: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...984-The-Mentor

"Even so, I am always looking for something to help tip the odds in my favor, and it was with that thought I recalled a faded Talisman lurking in the far far depths of the chest of drawers. I will stray briefly from our tale here to explain this...

On my last foray to Africa, I was nine days in on quest for a particularly large and smart old Kudu Bull.
    Decided to take a day down to freshen up and take stock.
    A Buddy wandered by, and presented me with a T-Shirt which had been printed up in support of the Painted Dog Research going on in Zimbabwe at the time. It will bring you luck he suggested. Well... Why not?
    The next day that old Kudu made a HUGE mistake, and crossed my path at 125 yards.
    I was wearing the "magic" shirt, and that was it's first.
    Over the years, I would wear it but occasionally - when I felt I needed a little something extra to get me where i needed to be.
    And time after time, I claimed another success while it was on my back.
    Eventually I became somewhat superstitious about the matter, and only spoke about it with my Lady.
    She took this in stride of course, and supported my thoughts regarding it's magic.

Over time, in excess of 40 big game animals have been harvested while that shirt has been on my back.
    There's a reason I believe in it you see.
    These days it is a tattered remnant of it's former self - as many holes as fabric, missing the lower seam, and basically ready to fall apart.
    So worn in fact were it now to be washed, it would simply fall apart.
    The Missuz only once toyed with the idea of getting shed of it. Once...

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I don't sharpen my knives the day before leaving.
    Oddly enough, I always give the knives a little tweak the evening before heading out.
    Different Strokes for Different Folks I guess..

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by andrew5 View Post
    maybe my bear pepperoni has been angering the hunting gods who are hiding all the bucks in october thus far.

Great call on Steel Panther.

re: fishing, my 4 year old daughter always has to yell "come ooooooon Tina! Come get your food".
    Think I'll be stealing the Tina line