Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do You Break A Pup/dog From Chasing Deer?

Re: How Do You Break A Pup/dog From Chasing Deer?

That's a tough one.
    Beagles are known for not being off leash dogs because they run off after critters.
    I think you have to have a pretty strong recall and control of the dog and then spend time in the woods.
    I'd say the best thing to do is the prevent the dog from following anything unless you want him to do it.
    Or train him for specific scents.
    Dog running off after some scent in the bush is all a matter of control in my opinion.
    I think you have to establish full control of the dog and then chose what he goes after.
    Consult tracking dog trainers, they will surely have good methods.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    The thing about doing this is you will turn the dog off eating raw deer meat which is something my dog gets quite a bit of. At least when they're on the hoof it's all about the chase, not the meat. I also want my griff to to be able to track lost deer. She's already found one for a friend that spent several hours trying to locate it the night before. The next morning my dog found it in just a few minutes because I went through the process of blood tracking with her from blood I had saved up from a couple of deer I shot in the fall.
    Maybe depends on the dog….All my hounds are broke off deer and have no problem eating deer scraps when I supplement it into their diet.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Pick up an E collar, a good brand with a ‘tone’ and a few levels of shock.

Hard part is verifying he’s running deer. So wait for snow. Or go find some out (easier at night). And drop him out right on them. Then shock till he stops or drops.

If you can not break him with an e collar then your grandfathers right.

deer are one of the stinkiest things around and usually sit tight till the dog runs right up on them. Hard not to chase.

You can train him so he comes back to you with the ‘tone’

Make sure the dog gets a good nose full of the scent you want to trash break him on and is absolutley chasing that scent down, then shock him. The dog will stop and think that scent bite him and run back to you. It only takes once or a couple times and he will not want to chase that scent any more. Your grandfather might be right in some cases but we have better technology these days to deal with that problem Goodluck
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

X2 on the E collar, my dogs are taught on command leave it on anything that would be "trash" and if they don't leave it, the e collar is used with the command, you'd be surprised how much their hearing improves. A dog that's well conditioned to an E collar gets so you don't even have to use the collar, their hearing improves so much. My dogs (labs) are never hunting without a collar.

x3 on E collar, was the most effective method for my dogs

I also tracked/engaged in close contact with some deer/non target animal with my dogs on leash, switched things up while grouse hunting when any opportunity arose...the dog sees/smells the deer/animal, dog sees my none reaction and I change his focus, dog learns we are not chasing deer/moose/elk/bears, rewarded for good behaviour, negative behavoiur gets the E collar....they learn quick, might show some interest still, but do not chase at all
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

I'm working on this right now. My dog is 11 months old.

I agree, the e-collar is a logical step. I have not gone to the e-collar yet. We have a lot of deer around our yard. What I have been training (loose word) the dog to do, when I say, "deer" she sits. When I say "bird" she sits. So her future instinct will be to sit and watch.

She is off leash on a good walk, at least once a day. When she is on our deck, or on a leash and I / we see deer, she is sitting as I want. However, while off leash yesterday, she was out a ways in front of me and she dam near got a snow goose that was bedded in the tall grass. And she does run deer. I use a sharp high pitch mouth whistle and I do see that she starting to come back quicker (progressively getting better every week) when I call. Time spent together, in the bush is critical.

Most important.... patience for me the owner. If she comes back, when she comes back, she is always a good dog. I try to make, doing as I request, more comfortable than the alternative.

I'm also noticing this dog, is so different from my others, where a good slap on the ass with the others was a sufficient deterrent. These millennial dogs, seriously are just like our kids today, discipline them and they'll go sit down and pout.

x whatever on the e-collar, if used properly there is nothing better for breaking dogs of bad habits IMHO

Here's Charlie chasing deer

good boy Charlie! clearly defending his ball lol
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Nailed it. Well said
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    The thing about doing this is you will turn the dog off eating raw deer meat which is something my dog gets quite a bit of. At least when they're on the hoof it's all about the chase, not the meat. I also want my griff to to be able to track lost deer. She's already found one for a friend that spent several hours trying to locate it the night before. The next morning my dog found it in just a few minutes because I went through the process of blood tracking with her from blood I had saved up from a couple of deer I shot in the fall.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"